Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked ArcGis - Desktop vs Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downloaded
8.9 GB
Uploaded
6.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
Are you ArcGis user? What differences are between Pro and Desktop? Esri's descriptions are general and doesn't explain differences.

N3v3RM1nd

Banned
Downloaded
16.4 GB
Uploaded
13.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online are two different platforms with different interfaces and features. If you attempt to use the wrong platform for an exercise, you will not be able to follow the directions and complete the exercise you are working on. It is important that you know the differences between the two.

ArcGIS Pro is a piece of software installed on a computer. Even if you are using the internet to access the remote connection, ArcGIS Pro itself is still installed and running on the remote computer you are connected to. The data you create in ArcGIS Pro will be stored on the computer that ArcGIS Pro is installed on. In general, ArcGIS Pro has much more capability to perform complex analysis and customize the display of your data than ArcGIS Online does.

ArcGIS Online (is a platform for web GIS accessed through a website in a browser. Everything you do in ArcGIS Online is processed and stored on web servers, not the computer you are using to access it through a browser. The data you create in ArcGIS Online will be stored on those servers. In general, ArcGIS Online has much more capability for interactive and collaborative use of GIS than ArcGIS Pro does

Source https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/bf37fb8c97ca405c8876553101933f4e

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyler

šŸ¤“ Super Admin
āš”OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 6 years
I think it explains very well.

ArcGIS pro is just the software as you know it.

Desktop is a SET of applications that includes ArcGis pro and other software like ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcGIS Living Atlas, and others, and a set of APIs and SDKs for programmers to connect their apps to ArcGis, as well as access to ArcGIS Online cloud-based designer and tools.

ArcGIS Desktop comes in basic, standard, and advanced versions which you can read here:
https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-desktop/buy

@N3v3RM1nd tho what you said is right, you are actually comparing pro vs online and not pro vs desktop as the OP asked. Also, please dont post outside links.

Downloaded
8.9 GB
Uploaded
6.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
Yes, I undestand what is "desktop" (some set of local installed binaries) and "online" (just service in cloud, for example). This is clear.

Because Esri's website is useless for information purposes, I checked English version of Wikipedia and over there is written:

ARC/INFO was later merged into ArcGIS Desktop, which was eventually superseded by ArcGIS Pro in 2015.
ArcGIS Pro is a 64-bit GIS software that is the more modern version of ArcGIS Desktop. Unlike ArcGIS Desktop, the ArcCatalog and ArcMap functionalities are accessed through the same application, most commonly through the Catalog pane.

It looks like ArcGis Pro is one app, ArcGis Desktop is apps set, as you said and is also listed on the website. Both with similar functionality (or the same?). But in other side Desktop includes Pro. This point is very enigmatic, it it?

ArcGIS Pro is desktop GIS software developed by Esri, which replaces their ArcMap software generation. The product was announced as part of Esri's ArcGIS 10.3 release, ArcGIS Pro is notable in having a 64 bit architecture, combined 2-D, 3-D support, ArcGIS Online integration and Python 3 support.
Esri are encouraging their users to transition to ArcGIS Pro.

Now it is a bit more clear, but still not transparent, since they sell both versions.
So, for new user is ArcGis Pro, right?

Last edited:

Cyler

šŸ¤“ Super Admin
āš”OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 6 years
They sell both versions because they have different target audiences. Think of it like this without being absolute.

Pro is more for individuals or very small companies that only want the core GIS functions and have very small teams or often even just 1 person working on a project.

Desktop is for companies with multiple employees probably working on the same large-scale projects, often from different locations. and may need customizations or even custom-made solutions/programs for example connecting the GIS system to databases to add extra functions and sources of data or web servers for building web apps.

So as you see, even though both versions appear to do the same thing the difference is in how they do it. The desktop allows for remote collaboration, validation, and quality control of workflows (since you assigned multiple people for multiple tasks, you need to keep a certain level of control), Broader database management, and access to the inner engine of ArcGIS through SDK and APIs which actually is one of the things that large companies want/need, and many other things listed on their site.

It's up to you to see what each path offers (I think the link I shared shows that clearly) and also define your own needs and budget. Additionally, keep in mind that no one forbids you from calling/emailing and asking for more info as a "potential customer" and maybe they can clear any confusion you may have about their product.

If I was you tho, I would start with pro (since it's the "smallest" one) and move to higher versions when I master pro or there is a real need (paying customer or applying for a job in big GIS projects)

Hope it helped.

Last edited:
Downloaded
8.9 GB
Uploaded
6.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
I think now it's clear. Thank you!