Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked How Convert GPT to MBR without Losing Data ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajyogi

Downloaded
17.5 GB
Uploaded
5.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Hi there,

I was trying to install windows 11 superlite edition from TeamOS this past week. I created a bootable usb drive for that windows 11 build too. When i was installing the OS, its displayed a message "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is not of the MBR partition style".

Now, I'm stucked in this worst situation where i can't do anything also i don't have an extra PC/Laptop. And i must have to install this windows 11 build without losing my data. Is there any option to do this installation ?

Also I've once downloaded a windows 10 xtreme lite build from teamos which has Aomei partition pre-installed during the time of windows installation i converted my mbr partition to gpt using that build. If you have link for this build kindly share or else atleast help me to get rid of this situation. Thankyou ?

bakatenchu

Downloaded
11.2 GB
Uploaded
19.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
AFAIK converting GPT to MBR will convert partition table of the said disk and it is impossible for it to be intact as they both has different partition table.

Zorro48

Windows Customizer
⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
895.3 GB
Uploaded
4.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
6 (7)
Member for 10 years

How to: Convert GPT to MBR without Data Loss using Command Prompt​

Do you want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss using command prompt? This article shows how to convert your drives and provides you with another easy way to convert from GPT to MBR without using command prompt.

What do GPT and MBR mean?

GPT and MBR are both partition styles found on hard drives, each partition style has its own unique characteristics.
GPT, the modern standard layout for partition tables on the hard drives of newer systems that utilize UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) rather than BIOS. GPT, short for GUID partition table, technology allows you to create an unlimited number of partitions, however, in practice your OS will limit this to 128.
MBR, short for Master Boot Record, utilizes the Legacy BIOS mode in order to be compatible with modern systems. Unlike GPT, MBR only allows you to create a maximum of four primary partitions or three primary partitions and one extended partition. However, you will find that MBR is compatible with a larger number of systems and setups than GPT.
Due to GPT and MBR's different features and functions, you will need to choose the correct boot mode (GPT or MBR) in order for your system to recognize the drive. What's more, Microsoft declaimed that Windows 11 system will only allow GPT and UEFI, thus people who want to upgrade their Windows 10 PC to Windows 11 may have to choose GPT.

Convert GPT to MBR using command prompt [Data Loss]

When users experience disk or partition problems that typically look to the built-in Windows tools to help them resolve the issues. These tools are by and large very useful and can assist you in converting between GPT and MBR in Windows 7, 8, and 10. Below is a guide on how to convert your drive using command prompt.
Warning data loss: This method will cause the data on your drive to be erased as the /clean command will be applied (step 4). Please do not use this guide unless you first.
Backing up your data is the only way to ensure you don’t suffer from data loss when converting between GPT and MBR using command prompt.
Step 1.
Click “Win + R”, type “cmd” in the Run window. If you want to convert GPT to MBR during installing Windows, you can press “Shift + F10” to bring out command prompt. After you open the cmd window, type “diskpart.exe” and click “Enter”.
Step 2. Type “list disk” and hit Enter.
Step 3. Type “select disk n” (n is the number of the disk you want to clean).
Step 4. Type “clean”. (This will cause data loss).
step 5. Type “select disk n” (n is the number of the disk you want to convert).
Step 6. Type “convert mbr”.
Step 7. Type “exit”.

Now, you can restore the backup image to the previous disk. Back up data ahead of time is the promise that you can convert GPT to MBR using command prompt without data loss. However, it makes things complicated.

Convert GPT to MBR without data loss using AOMEI Partition Assistant​

As we have just discovered, the only way to avoid data loss when using command prompt to convert between GPT and MBR is to backup all of your data beforehand as it will during the conversion. As backing up and restoring your data can be a lengthy and time-consuming process, many users will prefer to use third-party software like to convert with losing data.
AOMEI Partition Assistant is compatible with many Windows operating systems such as Windows 7/8/10, Windows XP (for a full list please see the website). If you are running Windows Server OS like Server 2019, 2016, and more, please switch to .
Step 1. Install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional. (You can download Professional Demo version to try at first.)

Secure Download
Step 2. Enter the main window, click the disk you want to convert, and select Convert to MBR Disk.

Step 3. Confirm that you want to proceed by clicking OK.

Step 4. Preview the pending operation under ‘Pending Operations’, if you want to proceed click Apply.

In the event you need to convert your drives in the future, AOMEI Partition Assistant allows users to between GPT and MBR when needed.

How to convert GPT to MBR during Windows 10/8/7 install?​

Step 1. in AOMEI Partition Assistant.

Step 2. Plug the USB drive, boot your computer and enter the BIOS (normally you can press, Del for desktops and F2 for laptops). In BIOS the change the boot sequence to make the USB drive the priority, and then press Enter to load the main page of AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional Edition.

You can now follow the above steps under ‘Convert GPT to MBR without losing data using AOMEI Partition Assistant’ to complete the conversion.

Summary​

In summary, it is possible to convert from GPT to MBR without losing data by using command prompt, but you must backup your data first. If you choose not to backup your data or simply don’t want to due to the amount of time it takes, then you will unfortunately suffer data loss as the drive is wiped by the /clean command. However, by using AOMEI Partition Assistant you can convert directly between GPT and MBR without deleting the partitions or wiping the drive. AOMEI Partition Assistant also allows you to effortlessly convert the partition style during your Windows installation.
AOMEI Partition Assistant includes a whole range of useful functions when compared Disk Management. These include the ability to without any data loss, Combine Partitions, partitions, Delete Extended Partitions, and Resize Partitions.

Download:

fantom

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
1,588.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
Use AOMEI Partition Assistant! It will do the job without loosing data

EDIT:

zorro48 was faster :giggle:

MniawY

• STAFF™ 🌟
Super Moderator
Uploader
Power User
Downloaded
156.5 GB
Uploaded
51 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
104 (102)
Member for 7 years
Moved To '' Help and Request '' ☑️

Nischal

Downloaded
8.3 GB
Uploaded
8.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
great info thanks a lot

Downloaded
2.9 GB
Uploaded
127.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
change bios from legacy to uefi , this this solve the error message

MniawY

• STAFF™ 🌟
Super Moderator
Uploader
Power User
Downloaded
156.5 GB
Uploaded
51 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
104 (102)
Member for 7 years
change bios from legacy to uefi , this this solve the error message
He Will Hava a New Error Message Then, as His Disk Still MBR :nod:

DGrigorescu

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
310.8 GB
Uploaded
1.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Very good and detailed instructions @zorro48.
AOMEI is my solution too. I discovered this one year ago using a PE (Hiren?). Some PE's have the Free Edition - not good, must be Pro. I'm too lazy to use cmd if it's not really necesary and I don't want to wait for backup operation, even if I know it's a must to run such task at least sometimes and for sensitive data.

iwanjeh

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
410.8 GB
Uploaded
2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
aomei, paragon, easus, and of course diskpat command

Chuck

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
300.6 GB
Uploaded
2.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
24 (26)
Member for 5 years
You don't say exactly which OS you are trying to install but most installers have a disk format option. Have you tried that?

@ajyogi
Please tell us when you have enough answers so that we can close the thread.

kohein2

Downloaded
456.6 MB
Uploaded
5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
kan anyone help me with a AOMEI software to change MBR2GPT ?

Chuck

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
300.6 GB
Uploaded
2.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
24 (26)
Member for 5 years
kan anyone help me with a AOMEI software to change MBR2GPT ?
AOMEI is here
For future reference, I found it by putting "AOMEI Partition Assistant" into the search box.

vdogeek

🤴 Super Admin
Uploader
Downloaded
93.5 GB
Uploaded
56.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1199 (1205)
Member for 9 years
This thread is all over the place even though a solution was pointed out... by @zorro48 ... Thread closed and locked, tagged completed

Status
Not open for further replies.