Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Linux and the Realtek PCIe Wireless card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cumulonimbus

Weatherman
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
225.3 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (8)
Member for 10 years
Many times someone wants to install a Linux distro on their PC/Laptop only to discover that their Realtek PCIe wireless card is not detected. You can either purchase a USB wireless adapter that supports Linux OR install a distro that has native Realtek drivers pre-installed. I have personally tested these distros which do so. They are PCLinuxOS, POP! OS, Manjaro, Elementary OS, Feren OS, Zorin OS 16 and Ubuntu.

Here is my HP AIO PC running Manjaro, natively connected to WIFI with no additional drivers needed:
QURIOU.png

Last edited:

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
88 (103)
Member for 3 years
Yup, I agree on all the 3 accounts. My HP Notebook from 2014-15 also runs natively without having to need any additional drivers. Earlier, Linux Mint (Cinnammon) edition also used to work, but not sure of the last 5-6 builds anymore.

Cumulonimbus

Weatherman
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
225.3 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (8)
Member for 10 years
Yup, I agree on all the 3 accounts. My HP Notebook from 2014-15 also runs natively without having to need any additional drivers. Earlier, Linux Mint (Cinnammon) edition also used to work, but not sure of the last 5-6 builds anymore.
The 3 distros work great on my brand new HP AIO desktop with the native wireless driver

Cumulonimbus

Weatherman
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
225.3 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (8)
Member for 10 years
And you know as well as I do that you can test to see if the Realtek chip is detected by booting into the live distro first. If all goes well, then can be installed to the HD :cool:

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
88 (103)
Member for 3 years
The 3 distros work great on my brand new HP AIO desktop with the native wireless driver
New hardware are still easily compatible, compared to old ones, but all 3 above work flawlessly for me as well. Moreover, of the 3, Pop!OS works even better.
And you know as well as I do that you can test to see if the Realtek chip is detected by booting into the live distro first. If all goes well, then can be installed to the HD :cool:
Yup, I usually run them, unless I am aware otherwise. Like Linux Mint from 2018 or 2019 (cannot recollect), I used to be able to use without any additional requirements. Then it kind of stopped. Pop!OS is amazing, compared to others, and PCL comes next.
Did you try the new Pop!OS, 22.04 or still the earlier on?

Cumulonimbus

Weatherman
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
225.3 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (8)
Member for 10 years
New hardware are still easily compatible, compared to old ones, but all 3 above work flawlessly for me as well. Moreover, of the 3, Pop!OS works even better.

Yup, I usually run them, unless I am aware otherwise. Like Linux Mint from 2018 or 2019 (cannot recollect), I used to be able to use without any additional requirements. Then it kind of stopped. Pop!OS is amazing, compared to others, and PCL comes next.
As a matter of fact I just downloaded Pop last night, burned to USB and am going to install as dual-boot with my Win11 :cool:

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
88 (103)
Member for 3 years
As a matter of fact I just downloaded Pop last night, burned to USB and am going to install as dual-boot with my Win11 :cool:
Same here. BTW, which W11 are you using? I will be installing Pop, probably tonight or tomorrow, once I get some free time. I need to install the Grub for it, as I find Grub easy comparatively.

Cumulonimbus

Weatherman
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
225.3 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (8)
Member for 10 years

Same here. BTW, which W11 are you using? I will be installing Pop, probably tonight or tomorrow, once I get some free time. I need to install the Grub for it, as I find Grub easy comparatively.

Cumulonimbus

Weatherman
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
225.3 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (8)
Member for 10 years
Haven't run the actual Ubuntu distro in years, testing it in dual-boot configuration with Win11. Works GREAT, and has wireless driver natively. Very happy :)
QxDYdq.png

Cumulonimbus

Weatherman
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
225.3 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (8)
Member for 10 years
Feren OS 2022.04 Awesome 'Buntu based distro.
QxNs7M.png

steve ross

Downloaded
457 GB
Uploaded
632.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
I always had a time with broadcom cards, never with realtek, but I personally don't use a laptop anymore and my kids have Toughbooks with intel cards.

Cumulonimbus

Weatherman
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
225.3 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (8)
Member for 10 years
Feren OS 2022.04 Awesome 'Buntu based distro.
QxNs7M.png

I always had a time with broadcom cards, never with realtek, but I personally don't use a laptop anymore and my kids have Toughbooks with intel cards.
Seems like 'Buntu-based distros respond better to Realtek. Many Debian-based like Mint do not.

PsyTom

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
502.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
thank you for sharing this information.

loader72

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
175.9 GB
Uploaded
2.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
If I may add, endeavorOS, Mabox, (both are elegant) MX linux,(excellent tools) & PClinuxOS(fast, not flashy & no sysD) will live boot to a desktop
making it simple to test for net connectivity. Happy trashing. :nod: peace.

edit: read some negative comments about FerenOS, there is a tendency to send excess personal data. Cannot/did not verify, for what its worth.

Last edited:

Cumulonimbus

Weatherman
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
225.3 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (8)
Member for 10 years
Update: Linux Mint 21 now has drivers for Realtek wireless cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.