Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Linux Distro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathonijan

Downloaded
2 GB
Uploaded
104.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
is there any distro that do copy and paste with full ram & disk power.
actually i have an internet cafe and i copy and paste movies and other stuff. my sys spec are 8GB DDR3 PC1300 RAM Core2Duo 3.0 Ghz . but speed is about 15 MB/s.
please tell me if any special distro for this job...

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
âš¡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Can you give more details cause I'm not sure of what you are talking about? Copy-paste could apply for folder to folder on the same disk, disk to disk on same PC, PC to PC on same Lan, or even VPS to PC on WAN. Also, give a bit more details about what you use now like disk type (spinner or SSD) network cards speed, etc. Also, is the disk you are using an external USB? Details on how you are copying may help too (like what software you are using, if any).

FYI: The copy process doesn't require much ram as the procedure is happening in chunks but it does ask for CPU and disk speeds. Also, there is a significant difference when you copy many small-sized files vs large ones or if you use an external USB or low/medium bandwidth network cads (100 Mbit for example), or even if you are multitasking at the time that the copy happens. For sure it's not a Windows/Linux thing and so a Linux would not have any advantage. Copying is affected mostly by hardware and software setup including drivers and not so much from the OS itself.

Just so you have something to compare, one of the file servers I use is a core duo e7400 at 2.8 (less than yours) but it copies fine using a 1gbit network card under windows LTSB and the copy speeds are, with SSD @ 108 - 118 MB/s & HDDs @ 50-65 MB/s.

Last edited:

Proteus

acta non verba
âš¡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
207 GB
Uploaded
35.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (229)
Member for 5 years
In my opinion. you can never go wrong with Mint Mate, or Mint XFCE. Both are lighter than the Cinnamon variety, and fully functional. I also run it on my core 2 duo extreme 3.06 as a dual boot with Win10.

Zaiakursed

Downloaded
59.9 GB
Uploaded
2.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
I do not understand what you are asking but I had an issue before that I'd like to share, maybe it'll help you in some ways.

I used to Install Arch/Manjaro before with SWAP Memory, Copying from External to Internal (and the other way around) via USB 3.0. I do get a max of 60Mbps transfer speed.
480Gb of Files from External with USB 3.0 took me around 2 hours to transfer to Internal HDD.

With SWAP I noticed Major UI Lags (like UI totally stopped until copying process is done), without SWAP, there are a few lags, but very minimal.
I never used Ubuntu but I think it's more stable.

Just FYI, :)

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
âš¡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
I do not understand what you are asking but I had an issue before that I'd like to share, maybe it'll help you in some ways.

I used to Install Arch/Manjaro before with SWAP Memory, Copying from External to Internal (and the other way around) via USB 3.0. I do get a max of 60Mbps transfer speed.
480Gb of Files from External with USB 3.0 took me around 2 hours to transfer to Internal HDD.

With SWAP I noticed Major UI Lags (like UI totally stopped until copying process is done), without SWAP, there are a few lags, but very minimal.
I never used Ubuntu but I think it's more stable.

Just FYI, :)
Of course, you would have issues with the swap as it uses part of the disk as memory (ram) and so you were actually performing 2 operations on the hard disk concurrently instead of one, maybe even more if you were hitting swap that easy. Think of the disk as if it was a person. When you assign 2 tasks to that person to do... it will take twice as long.

In your case tho what seems to be a bigger issue is the USB speeds. 60 Mbit on a USB 3 is VERY SLOW as USB 3 can get up to 5 Gbit. Maybe your external disk wasn't a USB 3 too, or you were copying a large number of very small files, or your system was multitasking... not sure, but there is something for you to examine.

This actually kinda proves my point that it's not the OS but the setup we do.

Anyway wanted to let you know and not sidetrack this conversation.

1ntr0v3rt3ch

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
499 GB
Uploaded
148.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
incomplete information from the thread starter. it's not the OS, it's the setup, network, and peripherals used in transferring files.

Nathonijan

Downloaded
2 GB
Uploaded
104.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
first of all i appreciate and thank you.
the main purpose of this thread is that i just want copy and paste operation in Linux distro
because i'm running net cafe and i do copy and paste for customers.
and i know that all of you stated about type of disks , flash dirves, RAMs etc and their specification. but now i'm looking for a distro that is just for copy paste operation specific.
because i need speed , speed and speed.
i know that i told about all spec do matter.

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
âš¡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
first of all i appreciate and thank you.
the main purpose of this thread is that i just want copy and paste operation in Linux distro
because i'm running net cafe and i do copy and paste for customers.
and i know that all of you stated about type of disks , flash dirves, RAMs etc and their specification. but now i'm looking for a distro that is just for copy paste operation specific.
because i need speed , speed and speed.
i know that i told about all spec do matter.
To give you a direct answer, there is no Linux (or any) OS that will speed up the copy process by itself. Your "problem" is mainly hardware limitations and to get higher speeds you need to upgrade your hardware. There are some "tricks" you can do (RAM caching or having central network storage if possible), but in general, every OS will go at the maximum speed the hardware allows and the real question is if you have set it right which is why we asked the extra info.

As an example, let's assume that you copy from the client PC via LAN to a USB thumb drive connected to your PC. In that case, the bottleneck is the USB controller/port and the speed of the stick. Cheap USB thumb drives are slow and there is nothing you can do to speed this up. Additionally, It gets worse when you copy multiple small files. Another example, let's say you want to copy using a 100mbit lan. That lan can transfer at best 12.5 MB per second assuming there is zero traffic at the switch. Again there is nothing the OS can do here to increase the speed as you cant make a lan card run faster than its rated max.

Of course, you can search the internet too to see what others say, but you will find more or less the same answer.

Mr. Spacely

🤴 Super Admin
Uploader
Downloaded
153.9 GB
Uploaded
44.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
11578 (11578)
Member for 8 years
This is pretty stupid from the beginning. Now getting complicated right? I think fix it now or complete.

1ntr0v3rt3ch

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
499 GB
Uploaded
148.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
This is pretty stupid from the beginning. Now getting complicated right? I think fix it now or complete.
you've nailed it sir! :giggle:

@TS :banghead:

Nathonijan

Downloaded
2 GB
Uploaded
104.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years