Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Not Sure What To Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigstubrown

Downloaded
13.9 GB
Uploaded
11.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
I have a very old PC which I found in my garage and had totally forgotten about. I believe it will take XP but not sure if I should install XP or Linux.....What do you all think?

Thank you in advance for your feedback on this as my 9 yr old son wants to mess around on it when it has an OS installed.

Stu

Jimmy Collaros

Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.8 TB
Uploaded
1,441.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
870 (869)
Member for 8 years
If the PC is very old as you say i think 7 will be OK to install. 7 are working with older PCs but i don't promise because i don't know yours..

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 4 years
For the age, 3 options can be chosen.
XP of course without all the extra stuffs it comes with.
W7, probably, but I would avoid it as it is where all the actual junk of MS started from.
Linux Lite (or any lite unix build which needs not more than 512mb ram or max 2gb ram).

If you want for your son to tinker, and if he knows and likes Unix, than the 3rd option above, else option 1. I will avoid option 2.

goswami99

Uploader
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
41.2 GB
Uploaded
758.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
25 (26)
Member for 7 years
You could try a lightweight Linux distro, like Lubuntu, or anything with XFCE. I would say it would run better than Windows on old hardware, along with the benefit of being actively maintained and supported unlike XP.

If you want an OS that would be visually appealing but still functional on modest systems, you could check out the Lite editions of Zorin :)

Cumulonimbus

Weatherman
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
227.6 GB
Uploaded
1.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (8)
Member for 10 years
It would be VERY helpful if you provide much more detailed specifics regarding hardware. Kind of difficult to recommend anything based on what you posted!

steve ross

Downloaded
467.7 GB
Uploaded
671.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
Honestly, I ran Linux Mint 20.2 on a c2d 2.26 with 4gb of ram and an SSD. Same laptop is running Zorin Lite with an old 5400 rpm 80gb drive at the moment.Now if we are talking AMD Athlon I would go with Peppermint or Linux Lite, simple to install and use.

Phrankie

⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
347.6 GB
Uploaded
620.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
101 (100)
Member for 2 years
First put here the specs so that we can decide what os suitable for it

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 4 years
Another very very lite one is LXDE. It is for old old old PCs and even lighter than Linux Lite or XFCE. It is based on Ubuntu/Lubuntu LTS.

Florist

Downloaded
12.4 GB
Uploaded
147.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
I would install something light and would go for Linux and let your child learn Linux, for sure will benefit.

ffrt0

Downloaded
14.8 GB
Uploaded
16.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
WinXP would not be compatible with Chrome latest browser etc Prefer Win 7 and above with Lite version, if possible.

vdogeek

🤴 Super Admin
Uploader
Downloaded
93.5 GB
Uploaded
56.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1199 (1205)
Member for 9 years
Time for a new PC.... there are plenty of good ideas here for you @bigstubrown .... this thread is soon to be closed.

ki_2004

Downloaded
260.1 MB
Uploaded
9.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
First install whatever Windows it can take may be xp or 7. Then look for older versions of cpu-z and speccy apps and run them to get detailed specs. Make model of CPU/RAM/Board etc. Then see if the board maker has any drivers for that version of windows still available in some EOL product section on their website. See if drivers make a better windows experience. Else go for some 32 bit light linux and enjoy the moment!!

Cumulonimbus

Weatherman
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
227.6 GB
Uploaded
1.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (8)
Member for 10 years
Due to the original thread author not responding to requests for more info, I'm closing this. Many suggestions given.

Status
Not open for further replies.