Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked other software like parted magic??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Uploader
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
93.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
264 (272)
Member for 7 years
I have used parted magic for years never had an issues with it... if a secure erase failed, you put it to sleep and try again and issue solved! but now I have a mushkin 2tb m.2 model: mknssdpe2tb-d8 and no matter what same failed error... @activekill works , but it takes 4 hours to erase a 2tb drive.... lol does anyone know of a equal quality like parted magic and preferably as quick as parted magic on secure erasing m.2 ssd???

thanks in advance!

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
âš¡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Actually, you already have such software. Most if not all UEFI bios have an option to securely erase SSD/m.2 disks. Each bios has it under the disk management options and it doesn't get any faster than that. You may have to look for your Mobos manual for more info or google "UEFI SSD wipe" and your motherboard model.
The option looks like this:
Q7klNc.jpg

Additionally, a small tip: On SSD/M.2 drives you dont need to zero-fill to secure wipe. Just erase everything (via quick format for example) and then TRIM the disk. TRIM will clean the SSD and it will be like you never wrote anything on it. You can test it and after a TRIM try to unerase. You will recover nothing.

Q7kjMs.jpg

You can google how to trigger TRIM manually in your version of windows.

Also please note that zero filling an SSD especially if it's done frequently might reduce the longevity of the SSD due to the nature they work. Each cell can be written only so many times so forcing ALL cells to just write zeros just makes its life a bit shorter for no good reason.

Last edited:

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Uploader
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
93.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
264 (272)
Member for 7 years
Actually, you already have such software. Most if not all UEFI bios have an option to securely erase SSD/m.2 disks. Each bios has it under the disk management options and it doesn't get any faster than that. You may have to look for your Mobos manual for more info or google "UEFI SSD wipe" and your motherboard model.
The option looks like this:
Q7klNc.jpg

Additionally, a small tip: On SSD/M.2 drives you dont need to zero-fill to secure wipe. Just erase everything (via quick format for example) and then TRIM the disk. TRIM will clean the SSD and it will be like you never wrote anything on it. You can test it and after a TRIM try to unerase. You will recover nothing.

Q7kjMs.jpg

You can google how to trigger TRIM manually in your version of windows.

Also please note that zero filling an SSD especially if it's done frequently might reduce the longevity of the SSD due to the nature they work. Each cell can be written only so many times so forcing ALL cells to just write zeros just makes its life a bit shorter for no good reason.
unfortunately is for my laptop Alienware Area 51-M, not that lucky! lol

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
âš¡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
A quick look in the bios manuals showed...

Q7ffdq.jpg

Just in case you missed it.

Even if for some reason you dont have that option (maybe a bios update or supervisor mode is needed), still the quick format and TRIM will do the same thing. Sadly I dont have any other suggestions for software as I find them useless for such tasks since the old and good format command does this task equally well.
Open an elevated command and format g: /fs:NTFS /p:0 where g: = your drive letter and it will zero write the entire disk.

Hope it helped.

SiteWizard

Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
233.6 GB
Uploaded
31.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
12 (12)
Member for 9 years
@Wichestery2k lol wat would i then say i have 8TB ssd disks here lol :)
really 4 hours for 2TB lol that means 16 hours tyo do that job here (lol)
good that i use other software here like our friend @Cyler say :)

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Uploader
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
93.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
264 (272)
Member for 7 years
A quick look in the bios manuals showed...

Q7ffdq.jpg

Just in case you missed it.

Even if for some reason you dont have that option (maybe a bios update or supervisor mode is needed), still the quick format and TRIM will do the same thing. Sadly I dont have any other suggestions for software as I find them useless for such tasks since the old and good format command does this task equally well.
Open an elevated command and format g: /fs:NTFS /p:0 where g: = your drive letter and it will zero write the entire disk.

Hope it helped.
that might be on newer models, even with latest bios on the r1 with 9th gen cpus... I don't get that option unfortunately!!
@Wichestery2k lol wat would i then say i have 8TB ssd disks here lol :)
really 4 hours for 2TB lol that means 16 hours tyo do that job here (lol)
good that i use other software here like our friend @Cyler say :)
lol we'll go to the strip club... and are you running a data center?? :D

juanamm

Uploader
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5.7 GB
Uploaded
448.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (223)
Member for 5 years
Secure deletions take time in all software depending on how secure you want to set the deletions, that is, how "secure" you want them to be. I do not know of a magic tool that will perform a secure erase in a short time
P.S
Seven Free Ways to Securely Delete Files in Windows
  1. Eraser. Eraser is a free tool that allows you to completely and securely delete sensitive data from your hard drive. ...
  2. Secure Eraser. ...
  3. Freeraser. ...
  4. File Shredder. ...
  5. SecureDelete. ...
  6. Blank And Secure. ...
  7. SDelete.
Ultimate Boot CD Live, a great alternative to Parted Magic

If you search Google for "alternatives to parted magic" you will find many, study which one you like the most and if you don't find it in this community request it. It is my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Uploader
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
93.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
264 (272)
Member for 7 years
thank you @juanamm ,@Cyler and @SiteWizard... I finally had the time to sit down and mess with the bios and found what @Cyler recommended, on my bios! lol BTW Alienware booklet it's wrong... it's under advanced tab and maintenance!! :D

juanamm

Uploader
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5.7 GB
Uploaded
448.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (223)
Member for 5 years
Thanks to everyone who participated here. Done & Completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.