Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Question about SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Hello All,

I am planning to get a SSD but am confused between M.2 or NVMe. I did check my motherboard's specifications and there is a PCIe x4 slot available. My motherbard is GA-Z270M-D3H

Ranger

FB COMMANDER
👑 Administrator
Downloaded
1.1 TB
Uploaded
258.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
99 (102)
Member for 3 years
Your Motherboard Support NVMe So go for it. Here my Choice is

SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3. X4

ocadigo

Downloaded
57.1 GB
Uploaded
73.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years

But isn't this SSD is expensive? very expensive.

How do you think about Kingston SSD or Sandisk SSD? its cheap alternative. but is it good?

Ranger

FB COMMANDER
👑 Administrator
Downloaded
1.1 TB
Uploaded
258.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
99 (102)
Member for 3 years
But isn't this SSD is expensive? very expensive.

How do you think about Kingston SSD or Sandisk SSD? its cheap alternative. but is it good?
I never want to suggest you a Sata SSD, Please Go For a NVMe minimum "TwinMOS NVMe"

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 4 years
I agree. Never go for SATA ones. If you want SATA and cheap best to go for HDD. Also better to invest once then numerous times.

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years

Thanks. I would like to have this one.

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
âš¡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
First of all, I would advise, that those who give advice, to be sure of what they say and stay to the point. What does it mean don't buy an SSD but better get an HDD... are we serious?

Second, we are not here to recommend disks and products in general and prices. Talk about technology advantages and pros and cons?? Yes, talking about which brand and prices are simply a big NO. The reasons are simple. Each country and zone has different products and prices... second to our own bias about products and the relative knowledge we have (or not have), 3rd the lack of knowledge of what the person that asks can do or can't do.

So to answer to @jaggyloving first.
NVMe is the technology and M.2 is the form factor or the way it connects to the Motherboard and so n NVMe disk can be an M.2 or can be a PCI card or can be a U.2
Sata can also come as M.2 form factor (with a different connection) or as an SFF (the 2.5' we all know) and as PCI card

Your motherboard supports NVME m.2 so you can pick any model you can afford as long as it says exactly that. m.2 - MNVe. Dont get NVMe Sata or anything else.
Now about which disk you may buy? All the NVMe write their stats (speed etc) on most websites and there are countless reviews and comparisons on the internet for you to search.
Hint: Dont look at the Serial transfer speed only, that is for noobs. Check the IOPs Value as well as random value as those 2 reveal how the disk will do, and the TBW or MTBF that shows how long the disk will last.

Remember you don't have to have the fastest one, if you also don't have the system to take advantage of it, you pay $$$ for air. Sadly you have to do your own research after this point as to which disk to buy.

Never go for SATA ones. If you want SATA and cheap best to go for HDD. Also better to invest once then numerous times.
@mobi0001 I would go on a long talk trying to understand what exactly you meant with don't buy an SSD but buy an HDD and why... or if you have any tests that show an HDD can be better when for example reading 10.000 small files etc. but I will not. I will only say, there are facts and hundreds of thousands of tests showing the superiority of an SSD vs an HDD, especially in the last 6 years. The only time that it doesn't matter is if you use an old Pentium single core with Sata-1 which has 150 MB max transfer and so... either HDD or SSD will be the same.

Sata 4 allows for 6Gbit or 750 Mbyte per second which a good SSD can do, but a hard disk can not do as it tops at 120-180 Mbyte with an average of 80-100 MB per second. The HDD also loses in the seek times and random access times which even a cheap SSD can obliterate an HDD. Dont take my word, ask all the people that upgraded their systems from an HDD to an SSD and see... or search for speed comparisons in real-life scenarios between SATA and HDD. I will show one below actually.

I never want to suggest you a Sata SSD, Please Go For a NVMe minimum
If you want, spend a few minutes and youtube SSD vs NVMe in Game load times, windows load times, etc, and tell us what you see?
A few examples
OS Load Times:
----------------------------------
QAkvAr.gif
AC Valhalla load times

QAkU3o.jpg
CyberPunk load times​

QAkzvH.jpg
We can find countless other tests or do our own and more or less all come to the same conclusion with some very small exceptions.

Windows and games loading 1second slower (lol) on SSD vs NVMe but 40-65 seconds difference from HDD. Not sure what you think is wrong with SSD and of course its your opinion but when we recommend things to other people, we better make sure we talk with facts.

For everyday use, which is, loading OS, Office, browser, and media app for music or video, and playing games, an SSD is more than fine if one cant afford an NVME or doesn't have a slot. NVMe to shine one must be in the business of moving/editing/creating files of many GB per minute. Like index and sort huge databases, edit multi-stream 4k Videos or run concurrently many things that use the disk like multiple VMs, etc. You make it sound as if SATA disks are crap/bad, which is far from the truth.

Now dont get me wrong please, this is not a personal attack or anything, I respect you guys for the work you do here, but remember whatever you post here, it stays on the internet forever and others see it even outside this site. We need to be sure of what we are advising other people to do, and that what we say is factual and true, and not subjective, when can at least, and always with respect to their budget, country, and needs, not ours. Hope you understand.

Last edited:

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years

Few additonal query and this is what my motherboard is about expansion slots -
  1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
    * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
  2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
  3. (All of the PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
  4. 2 x PCI slots
So, I guess Gen 3 vs Gen, Gen 4 is 4th generation and my motherboard does support Gen 4? If yes, then why did you recommend Gen 3 as per the screenshot?
IS Gen 3 better than Gen 4? Please help me understand this.

Secondly, my main problem is slow boot speed up and slow startup apps even though I have set very limited apps to start,
Will moving to SSD from HDD will also improve my game speed and all?

Thanks in advance.

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 4 years
@Cyler, I wrote "if" one wants cheap and SATA stuff then go for HDD. I myself have HDD only cause I cannot afford SSD or NVME SSD or even M2. Hence.

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
First of all, I would advise, that those who give advice, to be sure of what they say and stay to the point. What does it mean don't buy an SSD but better get an HDD... are we serious?

Second, we are not here to recommend disks and products in general and prices. Talk about technology advantages and pros and cons?? Yes, talking about which brand and prices are simply a big NO. The reasons are simple. Each country and zone has different products and prices... second to our own bias about products and the relative knowledge we have (or not have), 3rd the lack of knowledge of what the person that asks can do or can't do.

So to answer to @jaggyloving first.
NVMe is the technology and M.2 is the form factor or the way it connects to the Motherboard and so n NVMe disk can be an M.2 or can be a PCI card or can be a U.2
Sata can also come as M.2 form factor (with a different connection) or as an SFF (the 2.5' we all know) and as PCI card

Your motherboard supports NVME m.2 so you can pick any model you can afford as long as it says exactly that. m.2 - MNVe. Dont get NVMe Sata or anything else.
Now about which disk you may buy? All the NVMe write their stats (speed etc) on most websites and there are countless reviews and comparisons on the internet for you to search.
Hint: Dont look at the Serial transfer speed only, that is for noobs. Check the IOPs Value as well as random value as those 2 reveal how the disk will do, and the TBW or MTBF that shows how long the disk will last.

Remember you don't have to have the fastest one, if you also don't have the system to take advantage of it, you pay $$$ for air. Sadly you have to do your own research after this point as to which disk to buy.

@mobi0001 I would go on a long talk trying to understand what exactly you meant with don't buy an SSD but buy an HDD and why... or if you have any tests that show an HDD can be better when for example reading 10.000 small files etc. but I will not. I will only say, there are facts and hundreds of thousands of tests showing the superiority of an SSD vs an HDD, especially in the last 6 years. The only time that it doesn't matter is if you use an old Pentium single core with Sata-1 which has 150 MB max transfer and so... either HDD or SSD will be the same.

Sata 4 allows for 6Gbit or 750 Mbyte per second which a good SSD can do, but a hard disk can not do as it tops at 120-180 Mbyte with an average of 80-100 MB per second. The HDD also loses in the seek times and random access times which even a cheap SSD can obliterate an HDD. Dont take my word, ask all the people that upgraded their systems from an HDD to an SSD and see... or search for speed comparisons in real-life scenarios between SATA and HDD. I will show one below actually.

If you want, spend a few minutes and youtube SSD vs NVMe in Game load times, windows load times, etc, and tell us what you see?
A few examples
OS Load Times:
----------------------------------
QAkvAr.gif
AC Valhalla load times

QAkU3o.jpg
CyberPunk load times​

QAkzvH.jpg
We can find countless other tests or do our own and more or less all come to the same conclusion with some very small exceptions.

Windows and games loading 1second slower (lol) on SSD vs NVMe but 40-65 seconds difference from HDD. Not sure what you think is wrong with SSD and of course its your opinion but when we recommend things to other people, we better make sure we talk with facts.

For everyday use, which is, loading OS, Office, browser, and media app for music or video, and playing games, an SSD is more than fine if one cant afford an NVME or doesn't have a slot. NVMe to shine one must be in the business of moving/editing/creating files of many GB per minute. Like index and sort huge databases, edit multi-stream 4k Videos or run concurrently many things that use the disk like multiple VMs, etc. You make it sound as if SATA disks are crap/bad, which is far from the truth.

Now dont get me wrong please, this is not a personal attack or anything, I respect you guys for the work you do here, but remember whatever you post here, it stays on the internet forever and others see it even outside this site. We need to be sure of what we are advising other people to do, and that what we say is factual and true, and not subjective, when can at least, and always with respect to their budget, country, and needs, not ours. Hope you understand.

Wow, so well said.
The bottom line is that I should buy "m.2 - MNVe".
But am confused about Gen 3 vs Gen 4 and my motherboard's expansion slot says -
    * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
  4. 2 x PCI slots
Thanks.

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
âš¡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Wow, so well said.
The bottom line is that I should buy "m.2 - MNVe".
But am confused about Gen 3 vs Gen 4 and my motherboard's expansion slot says -
  4. 2 x PCI slots
Thanks.
You have 2 options
1. You can buy a gen 4 and use it on your gen 3 slot but it won't go at its max speed, it will go at the motherboard's max speed tho. Later if and when you upgrade to a gen 4 mobo, you can use that same disk and don't have to buy a new one.
2. Buy a gen 3 x 4 disk.

Both Gen 3 or Gen 4 will work the same when placed on this motherboard so it's up to you, your budget, and your future plans.

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
You have 2 options
1. You can buy a gen 4 and use it on your gen 3 slot but it won't go at its max speed, it will go at the motherboard's max speed tho. Later if and when you upgrade to a gen 4 mobo, you can use that same disk and don't have to buy a new one.
2. Buy a gen 3 x 4 disk.

Both Gen 3 or Gen 4 will work the same when placed on this motherboard so it's up to you, your budget, and your future plans.
Thanks for clearing -

What is good TBW?

What exactly is IOPs Value as well as random value?

Lastly, how and where can I check motherboard's max speed for SSD (NVMe) ?

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
âš¡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
@Cyler, I wrote "if" one wants cheap and SATA stuff then go for HDD. I myself have HDD only cause I cannot afford SSD or NVME SSD or even M2. Hence.
Yes, you wrote cheap SATA stuff, but since you agreed with pirate and pirate said SATA SSD... I assumed you meant that. Otherwise, what else is there cheap apart from HDD that you suggested... If you meant something else tho, I didn't understand well. To be honest, here, even a cheap SSD will do better than an HDD in general, unless one cares for size and not speed. Other than that what one can afford or not, is totally respected but I don't talk about prices, I only talk about technology and speed, etc.

Thanks for clearing -

What is good TBW?

What exactly is IOPs Value as well as random value?

Lastly, how and where can I check motherboard's max speed for SSD (NVMe) ?

TBW = terabyte written which shows how many TB a disk can write in its lifetime before it stops writing (still can read). The higher the better.
IOPs = Instructions per second and shows how many commands can a disk perform per sec. So let's say a file needs 2 IOPs to open and close an HDD can do about 180 IOPs while an SSD can do anything from 4 000 to 40 000. An NVMe can do 100k on average, up to 400k for the good ones. Higher values=better

More or less all mobos have the same speed, so just check gen3 vs gen4 to have an idea. The exact value you will find once you connect a disk.
For more my friend, you will have to google it as it will be outside the scope of the site and the thread.

Now I think since the main question is answered and unless there is anything else, we can move on and close the thread?

Nic410

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
269.5 GB
Uploaded
20.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
... Lastly, how and where....
32 GB/s. But You can get that info out of the web site. If don't know the answers to your question, IOPS are above your care/use :)

Ranger

FB COMMANDER
👑 Administrator
Downloaded
1.1 TB
Uploaded
258.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
99 (102)
Member for 3 years
why did you recommend Gen 3 as per the screenshot?
because of it :

Status
Not open for further replies.