Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Tips & Tricks The Windows 10 Install Re-Install Experience Checklist

Alessia_Amelia

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.7 TB
Uploaded
50.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
The Windows 10 Install Re-Install Experience Checklist

When your computer is not behaving as it should, reinstalling Windows is sometimes the only way to go. Just insert the
installation media and follow the wizard. That being said, the problem starts after installing Windows 10.
For instance, you cannot connect to the Internet due to driver issues, forget to install some applications, lose
application settings and configurations, etc. If you have a plan beforehand, the reinstallation procedure will be much smoother.
We have here a simple BASIC guide that will hopefully assist you that we've used and given other not-so-experienced
users to help them through the OMG stages of having a good experience with Windows 10.

Before Reinstalling Windows 10

1. Back Up or Create a Clone of Windows 10

This is the first thing you need to do when considering a reinstallation. Skim through your C: drive and back up any
personal files like images, videos, and documents. Especially look in general folders like Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Downloads, etc.

After that, you need to back up the settings and other data of your favorite applications. For instance, if you are using the Thunderbird email
client, you can back up the profile folder. This helps you restore the Thunderbird application without manually adding all the email accounts
again. Each application has its own way to export settings and configurations, so take your time and back up those settings. Since you can easily
import those settings and configurations with just a few clicks, it helps you save a ton of time after reinstalling Windows.

Alternatively, if you want your new Windows 10 install to be exactly like it was before reinstalling, you can clone Windows 10 instead. It’s a little
bit of a process but definitely worth it if you want to recreate your OS exactly how it was.

2. Make Sure You Have All the Product Keys

To activate some premium software like Windows, Office, etc., you need to have product keys. It is a good idea to have those product keys beforehand.
This lets you activate the software as soon as you install it. You can use free software tools to quickly find and copy the product keys of different software.
One thing to keep in mind is that you may not get the product keys of all your premium software. If you find that you are missing a product key for premium
software, you can try to recover it from your email inbox or simply contact the developer.

3. Download Drivers (if you won’t have Internet access)

When setting up a new Windows installation, you’ll get the opportunity to connect online. Usually, the Wi-Fi chip or Ethernet port on your motherboard will be
working even if you haven’t installed the drivers in Windows yet. Typically when you open Windows, your PC will automatically install the drivers for all your
connected devices and hardware.
But if you’re not sure whether you’ll have Internet, there are certain drivers you may want to download to an external USB before reinstalling Windows 10.
The main ones to have at the ready are:

1.Laptop chipset drivers. This should include networking, sound and integrated graphics.

2.Graphics drivers (if you have dedicated GPU)

3.Sound drivers (either through official laptop site or Realtek)

4. Make Sure You Have Up-to-Date Installation Media

Before you proceed to reinstall, make sure you have the up-to-date installation media. If you are unsure, you can download the
latest ISO from the official Microsoft website and follow the instructions to create a bootable USB drive. Here at TEAMOS there
are guides in the forums to do this. Check it out, its a fairly painless process worth knowing.

After Reinstalling Windows 10

1. Install Device Drivers

The first thing to do after installing Windows is to install all the drivers you downloaded earlier. Again, if you’re online, then many drivers
will install automatically, though if you have an Nvidia or AMD GPU, then you’ll probably need to manually install them from the Nvidia
driver or AMD driver site. Again, many are installed during the installation process, but do so to check and verify you have current drivers.
There are some very nice Driver applications here at TEAMOS that do this extremely well, check it out.

2. Update Windows
After installing hardware drivers, you need to install Windows updates. More often than not, these updates contain bug fixes, security patches,
and feature updates. Many customized OS 's here at TEAMOS block Windows Updates, it's a personal choice to do this, we choose to do
this for simple ease of mind with online security being a must these days. Again, personal choice.

To update Windows 10 , open the Settings app by pressing the keyboard shortcut Settings, navigate to “Update and Security -> Windows Update” and
click on the “Check for updates” button.

3. Download and Install All Your Software

Next, download and install all the required software. For general purpose software like browsers, media players, image viewers, etc

4. Configure Windows and Application Settings

After installing all the required software, it is time to configure the Windows settings. When we say Windows settings, we're talking about
common settings, like unhiding file extensions, disabling unwanted startup items, changing default apps, and so on.

5.Create a Backup Image for Future Use

This step is optional. However, creating a backup image after installing and configuring your system is always the best thing to do. This backup
image lets you quickly restore Windows if anything bad happens in the future. Of course, you still have to update Windows and other software
after restoring Windows, but that is much better than actually reinstalling and going through the whole process.

Now a lot of these steps are customizable by most people who are knowledgeable in this checklist. But many are not.
This is just a BASIC checklist for personal use. Frankly speaking, it's not bad to do most if not all of these steps
for ease of mind and simple functionality. We do this mostly now by memory from repeated reinstall and installs of
the many fine OS 's here at TEAMOS. But still come back to this for verification and "what did I forget to do now" questions.
Hope this assists you all and makes your experiences with Windows 10 a good one.

As Always in Loving Regards,
Alessia & Amelia. :):)

Charles

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5 TB
Uploaded
268.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
This is solid advice, and a great addition to the tips and tricks section.
Thanks to both of you for your contributions here. :D

DGrigorescu

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
310.8 GB
Uploaded
1.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Great girls! I respect this with few exceptions. I reinstall windows rarely or very rarely because why to do this if it's not necessary and take care of my actions. Have all the software on an external hdd, so the receipe for me is:

1. backup things (usually just the desktop)
2. install ltsc
3. set date/time
4. restart
5. install drivers
6. restart
7. install windows updates and ms store updates
8. restart
9. install apps
10. restart
11. make settings (windows/apps)
12. personal tweaks
13. copy/replace the old desktop content
14. enjoy the new os and take care of it

Alessia_Amelia

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.7 TB
Uploaded
50.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Thank you for your input @DGrigorescu , not to become confusing, this is a basic outline and not to be confused with other members performing
a more detailed or not, application. Many do not do what you have accomplished so readily and thoroughly...for you that is.
Keep up the fine work, :)

DGrigorescu

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
310.8 GB
Uploaded
1.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Yes, I understand and agree. Just wanted to share my way, I know the people are different, act different, different ways. For example I don't use email clients and all my settings and tweaks can be made in max 2 hours. Also I have a single license for an audio software wich is online based (email and password). The rest is TeamOS based ?

B1211

Downloaded
72.3 GB
Uploaded
81.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Could add make restore point step at end instead of entire backup image to revert back to stock in case anything bad happens

Shredder11

Downloaded
21.4 GB
Uploaded
117.2 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Great girls! I respect this with few exceptions. I reinstall windows rarely or very rarely because why to do this if it's not necessary and take care of my actions. Have all the software on an external hdd, so the receipe for me is:

1. backup things (usually just the desktop)
2. install ltsc
3. set date/time
4. restart
5. install drivers
6. restart
7. install windows updates and ms store updates
8. restart
9. install apps
10. restart
11. make settings (windows/apps)
12. personal tweaks
13. copy/replace the old desktop content
14. enjoy the new os and take care of it
You forgot the most important step! To make a backup image of the hard drive using something like Acronis. I personally have used Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5.38350 Workstation Server with Universal Restore for many years with no issues.

SiteWizard

Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
229.1 GB
Uploaded
31.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
12 (12)
Member for 9 years
@Alessia_Amelia Nice Tips :)
well done :) but yeah i did not expect less from you ^^

Alessia_Amelia

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.7 TB
Uploaded
50.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Hello @Shredder11 , as time went on for us and the purchasing of new laptops, we also use Acronis True Image for WD for backing up our SSD drives to an external HHD. A definite and easy method to use. The software can be found right here on the forums. And yes, clone your system in Step 1 is just an option. Thank you as well @DGrigorescu for the explanation in your post. Apologies if we came across a bit harsh. :):)