Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Wake on WAN not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Morello

Downloaded
66.5 GB
Uploaded
1.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Alright, it's time to stop banging my head against a wall and start asking for help from someone here with knowledge of setting up wake on LAN-WAN since I've never done this until now and the last time I needed to forward a port was like 15 years ago.

I've been trying to set up wake on wan over TeamViewer for my computer at work so I can turn it on over the internet whenever I want and work more from home during this shitty time but no matter what I do it won't work. I've setup and tried changing various settings for everything I could find on the net connected to both wake on LAN and wake on wan but still no luck. It does work sometimes but not always, and it works only when I'm at work, turn the computer off and turn it on from my phone right after that, if some time passes it won't work, it seems that computer goes into "deeper" sleep state after few minutes and won't wake up, it does the same thing for turned off state, sleep mode and hibernation.

OS on my work computer is Win 7 64-bit.
Motherboard is ASUS P8Z68-V LX with Realtek onboard LAN card
Router is TP-LINK VN020-F3, we got it from our ISP

What I've setup/tried so far:

1. BIOS settings, wake on PCI enabled (now it's called this, there's no "wake on LAN" option to enable), no power saver or fast boot options
2. Router settings, fixed local IP to my computer, connected my WAN IP with No-IP website to get dynamic DNS because I have dynamic IP address at work, UDP port 9 forwarded and checked if it's open with software, it says opened, ARP setting changed to "bound" to ensure my local IP stays the same no matter what
3. LAN card settings, experimented with some settings in "advanced" tab but power saving mode is disabled, wake on magic packet enabled, wake on patter match tried both enabled and disabled, WOL & Shutdown link speed tried both 10 and 100 Mbps setting, in power management tab all options are checked
4. Power options in Control panel are all set on maximum performance, all power saving options are off
5. TeamViewer options in wake on LAN section are set, selected public address option, used dynamic DNS address I got from no-ip service etc etc
6. I've tried using both TeamViewer and other android apps to wake the computer up, always the same problem

What I still can try:

1. Update BIOS and hope

Since it does work sometimes (as mentioned above) I think I've set it up fine (well, I hope) but maybe this motherboard simply doesn't have the option to keep LAN on after computer is turned off or, as I've read somewhere, router is losing connection to LAN card after some time (that's why I "bounded" my local IP in my ARP router settings, they said it would help).

If you need any more information just ask, thanks in advance for any suggestions, I'll take anything at this point :D

SiteWizard

Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
232.5 GB
Uploaded
31.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
12 (12)
Member for 9 years
@Tom Morello Maybe a dumb question but have you checked google allready ... ??
when i just type the tittle " Wake on WAN not working " in google,
then i get tons of information to see on how to do it ....

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Super Moderator
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
52.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
254 (262)
Member for 7 years
have you try underservices and see if wan services are on automatic and running?

Tom Morello

Downloaded
66.5 GB
Uploaded
1.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
@SiteWizard I did try some stuff, nothing worked, I guess I could try some more. The problem is when I'm at work to try all those stuff, well, I gotta work lol. While searching you can get much more info on wake on LAN than on WAN.

@Wichestery2k What services exactly? Under list of services on Win 7 (I have some laptop at home right now to check) I have stuff like WLAN and WWAN auto config, both not related to wake on wan as I can tell.

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 6 years
For me, it sounds like you have an issue with sleep states/power mode.

Make sure when your PC switches off, it shuts down completely and not go into any state like hibernation, etc. You can only wake from a properly shutdown PC and not in some suspended power mode (s0 to s5, suspend to ram or disk, etc). You need to check both bios and windows for that. There is a way to properly wake from any state but you need to change the power plans for that as all of them, will switch off the NIC.

Additionally, make sure if and when you turn the PC on, it doesn't go to sleep mode (power save) after x amount of time, or if it does make sure the power plan doesn't change the NIC's power settings (allow this PC to switch off the device to save power should be off). The same applies when you remotely shut it down. It should do a full power down and not hibernation.

While testing, when PC is off, check the back of the NIC if the led light(s) are on. Send the magic packet and check if the lights blink. That could be a good start.

Other than that try first to make sure you can have it working 100% from Lan and then work on wan settings. At least you will minimize the source of your problems (if its Wan settings or Lan settings).

have you try under services and see if wan services are on automatic and running?
None of that matters as those will be activated AFTER WOL sends the magic packet to wake the PC and Windows will start. Those services don't run with the PC being switched off.

Tom Morello

Downloaded
66.5 GB
Uploaded
1.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
@Cyler One of the first things I do when I install windows is set power settings to maximum performance, all power saver off, hibernation off etc, on my work computer not even screensaver is running, it's always on max power so no worries that it will go to sleep mode after some time. Same thing in BIOS, I always turn off any power saver settings for any device if there is a setting. I tried wake up from hibernation and sleep mode just to see if it will work, but waking it up from power off state is what I need.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check power settings again in the morning when I get to work, and I will check if wake on LAN is working properly.

Charles

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5 TB
Uploaded
268.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
Have you tried setting a static ip on your machine, and port forwarding port 9 to that machine?

Tom Morello

Downloaded
66.5 GB
Uploaded
1.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
@Charles Yes, I've mentioned that above, I have setup a static local IP to my computer from the router so the router would always give the same IP to my PC, UDP port 9 forwarded and checked to confirm it is forwarded.

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 6 years
Make sure you also have fast boot, fast startup, or whatever it's called, off cause that is actually a fancy name for an s4/s5 state (suspend to disk and soft off). You can make sure you are doing that by issuing in a command prompt shutdown /s /f /t 0 while testing. It's the only thing I can think of that will make your PC work sometimes and not others.

Also, make sure you check the Lan ports for activity when the PC is off (if the leds are on, WOL will work), and when you send the wake command (see if there is blinking). That will further help you isolate where the problem is.

Tom Morello

Downloaded
66.5 GB
Uploaded
1.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
@Cyler Yes that option should be off but I think fast startup option started from Win 8 onward so there's no such option in windows 7 but I have checked for BIOS fast boot option several times, will check again to make sure ;)

Tom Morello

Downloaded
66.5 GB
Uploaded
1.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Few updates from this morning.

1. Updated BIOS, same problem
2. Updated LAN drivers, same problem
3. Checked LAN card lights at the back and they never blink after the computer is turned off, suggesting it is the problem with power state and router doesn't have any communication with the card after PC goes off, but when it comes to wake on LAN...
4. I have tested wake on LAN and it works every single time, even after testing different LAN card settings

vdogeek

🤴 Super Admin
Uploader
Downloaded
93.5 GB
Uploaded
56.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1199 (1205)
Member for 9 years
1 month old now & no replies. closed and tagged completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.