Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Tutorials What To Do When PC IS Starting But No Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

RefayaSaad

Uploader
Downloaded
57.2 GB
Uploaded
12.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Due to load-shedding, my pc shut down during disk checking a while ago. When I turned on my pc I saw my pc started (LED was on, fans were humming) but my display was dark even though it was powered on (little LED light was glowing & indicating that it has power). So I was a bit worried at first & tried to restart my pc . But again same problem; No display but PC was on. I tried it several times but no luck. I was completely freaked out as I never faced this problem before. Then I did some research & did some audacious (for me!) steps & voila! My problem was solved! Here is what I did!

1. First shut down the power source.
  2. Open the PC case (usually left side) by removing the screws!
  3. Remove the RAM or RAMs gently (First unlock from the sides, watch a video from Youtube if you need further help)
  4. Clean them a bit & then insert them back on! (when you place them in the slot correctly & gently push them, they get locked on their own if the placement is right)
  5. Also you should turn on & off your Power Supply switch (if they have)
  6. Tighten the cables of the HDD (follow the wires).
  7. Turn the source power back on.
  8. Try starting your pc.
  9. That's it! Your pc should start normally again (though it could ask for a repair, don't worry, just select restart & skip disk check)

Those simple steps fixed my PC instant! So try this, don't be afraid if you are not a technical guy (I'm not either). It's very simple. All you need is a little courage. Also if you mess something up (which you won't) you can always seek for help from the professionals. So go for it & you will find that life could be very simple with a little bit of knowledge & courage!

EDITED BY STAFF
Read the
It says"-Do not create flashy posts "

Last edited by a moderator:

Yash Dedhia

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
139.4 GB
Uploaded
677.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
I agree ram sticks could cause issues.. But in my case currently it was HDMI cable a working one but because computer was not used since long time & completely kept shutdown there was moisture in the slot which caused issues.. Changed with DP cable now everything works great.. Always go step by step troubleshooting will always help

johnnydorayme

Downloaded
44.9 GB
Uploaded
620 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
Just an update of GFX drivers solved my problems of a black screen at boot

RefayaSaad

Uploader
Downloaded
57.2 GB
Uploaded
12.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
I never heard of it before. Thank you for your valuable share.

RefayaSaad

Uploader
Downloaded
57.2 GB
Uploaded
12.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
I agree ram sticks could cause issues.. But in my case currently it was HDMI cable a working one but because computer was not used since long time & completely kept shutdown there was moisture in the slot which caused issues.. Changed with DP cable now everything works great.. Always go step by step troubleshooting will always help
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us cause it's quite common case that not using a electrical device for too long causes problem.

_mp3_

Downloaded
2.6 GB
Uploaded
5.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
thanks for tutorial from your experience

aniota

Downloaded
236.2 GB
Uploaded
7.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
Had this problem but got other cause.
When I always tried to enable secure boot, after trying to boot, my display was black.
Had to hard reset bios to resolve it and never enable secure boot. ( probably my gpu is not much compatible with bios. gtx 960 with bios msi b85-g43 )

Last edited:

RefayaSaad

Uploader
Downloaded
57.2 GB
Uploaded
12.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Had this problem but got other cause.
When I always tried to enable secure boot, after trying to boot, my display was black.
Had to hard reset bios to resolve it and never enable secure boot. ( probably my gpu is not much compatible with bios. gtx 960 with bios msi b85-g43 )
Lol! Probably! Honestly I'm not that expert that you think I am! So I didn't understand you like an expert would do but for sure I have learned new things like hard reset bios, not enabling secure boot etc. So thank you very much for that. Also please teach us more what you know.

aniota

Downloaded
236.2 GB
Uploaded
7.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
Lol! Probably! Honestly I'm not that expert that you think I am! So I didn't understand you like an expert would do but for sure I have learned new things like hard reset bios, not enabling secure boot etc. So thank you very much for that. Also please teach us more what you know.
Well, secure boot enabling is not a problem but there are some exceptional times which could make it not working, because of hardware support in software.
hard reset bios which is for me removing and injecting battery bios again is pretty the best solution when u try to have some features testing in bios.
Have a nice day

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 3 years
That is a a part of dim screen actually. Dim-Black screen is when your hardware is where the issue lies.

So for @RefayaSaad his issue was due to RAM allocation in cache filling up the boot sector cache from where system hardware allocates memory. Now when the memory is full, the drivers which need to run during boot do not get appropriate allocation of memory and power static. Hence, although the cpu gives power, the motherboard and the dip-switch that runs the drivers and ram allocation does not get the appropriate buffer modules to run through. Thereby, causing the monitor power to be on low voltage.

SydneyM

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
51.6 GB
Uploaded
57.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Totally concur with @ RefayaSaad that unclean/dusty RAM can cause funny things like beeping and failure to start. Here is a trick I learned from a technician; clean the bottom part of the RAM with a pencil eraser or rubber give it a good wipe with a soft cloth and reseat it (or them) properly. Careful not to "fry" your chips.;)

Alessia_Amelia

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.7 TB
Uploaded
50.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
We have a 6+ year old laptop we use for simple legacy gaming and watching rather old videos.
One of them is slowly losing battery charging and it will not hold a charge past 88%. We know its the battery,
but we have to completely dismantle the laptop to get to it. YouTube shows how but its just too much
trouble. ASUS G751JT WITH 16 GB GTX 970M video card. We occasionally get a black screen like you mentioned
and we've found power cycling it, holding power down for 15 seconds,( the little light goes off then back on).
We then reboot and it goes away. This happens after when ever we perform a simple cleaning with Revo.
Thank you for the suggestion @RefayaSaad , will give it a try. We're willing to do other troubleshooting tips you may suggest.
But tbh, we should just shoot it and be done with it.

Chuck

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
300.6 GB
Uploaded
2.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
24 (26)
Member for 5 years
I'm going to lock this thread because I don't think chat about "This worked for me" is going to be helpful.
Be aware that there are a hundred reasons why a PC fails to boot properly. @RefayaSaad's problem is just one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.