Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Tech News Windows 10 is warning users not to install CCleaner

By Darren Allan – 31/04/2020

Microsoft Defender is flagging up the popular utility as a potentially unwanted application - Piriform CCleaner

CCleaner, a popular PC optimization app, is being flagged up as ‘potentially unwanted software’ by Microsoft Defender (formerly Windows Defender, but renamed with the May 2020 Update), which is Microsoft’s built-in antivirus for Windows 10.

Potentially unwanted software – more commonly referred to as potentially unwanted apps (or PUAs) – refers to applications which an antivirus doesn’t find anything malicious with, but which may exhibit unwanted behaviors of one kind or another.

Usually, that means bundling extra bits and pieces, or stealthily installing extras like, say, a browser add-on, which may not do your PC any harm, but could prove an annoyance.

As Bleeping Computer spotted, Defender now detects CCleaner as a PUA, with the software giant stating that: “Certain installers for free and 14-day trial versions of CCleaner come with bundled applications, including applications that are not required by CCleaner or produced by the same publisher Piriform.

“While the bundled applications themselves are legitimate, bundling of software, especially products from other providers, can result in unexpected software activity that can negatively impact user experiences.”

Those bundled apps include Google Chrome browser, Google Toolbar, and Avast Free Antivirus plus AVG Antivirus Free (note that Piriform is now owned by Avast, which also owns AVG too).

Microsoft further stresses that those bundled apps are perfectly fine and not in any way malicious, of course, but it’s the way that they are offered for installation which is problematic.

The company observes that while the CCleaner installation process does provide a way to opt out of putting these extras on your PC, as you would expect, the judgment is that “some users can easily inadvertently install these bundled applications”.

Often, these matters are down to the way the options to opt out are presented.

At any rate, according to a statement just released by CCleaner, the firm believes that the issue has been resolved.

A CCleaner spokesperson told us: “We are in the process of engaging with Microsoft to understand why CCleaner was recently detected as PUA. We surmise the issue appears to be around bundling, and we believe we have addressed this so that our product is now no longer flagged.”

So, it may now be the case that if you go to install CCleaner while running Microsoft Defender, you’re no longer warned against proceeding, assuming the security app is indeed updated as CCleaner asserts.

SiteWizard

Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
224.8 GB
Uploaded
31.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
12 (12)
Member for 9 years
@TheHarperdragon thank you for the info my friend , because here it is doing the update now and i have cc also (lol) so i will delete / remove win def :)

ZeLimB

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
125.2 GB
Uploaded
1.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
will know if microsoft will not integrate a tool like Ccleaner in its OS ... the truth is elsewhere ^^

ViolentSlince

Downloaded
12.6 GB
Uploaded
5.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
thanks for the info. im feeling like im so neutral at this type of topics but this is really important :)

Toadiller

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
404.1 GB
Uploaded
1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
To be fairly honest, I am neutral on this as well. I dont want to believe this, but it may be time for me to actually create a tool that replaces CCleaner.

EDIT: By that, I mean I sorta dont really care if Windows sorta hates it, Its a good software anyway

Last edited:

ZeLimB

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
125.2 GB
Uploaded
1.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
it's a bit like for tik tok, trumps accuses china that tik tok is spyware, he wants to buy it back to increment
it at microsoft and from there, it would be considered legitimate .... the truth is elsewhere

juanamm

Uploader
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5.7 GB
Uploaded
448.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (223)
Member for 5 years
will know if microsoft will not integrate a tool like Ccleaner in its OS ... the truth is elsewhere ^^

Included in Windows 10 is the Storage Sense tool that performs a Ccleaner-like task. ;)
By default it is disabled.
activar-el-sensor-de-almacenamiento-705x474.md.png

DanielNorman

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
384 GB
Uploaded
34.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
Included in Windows 10 is the Storage Sense tool that performs a Ccleaner-like task. ;)

Thanks for the tip buddy.

juanamm

Uploader
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5.7 GB
Uploaded
448.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (223)
Member for 5 years
Thanks for the tip buddy.
If you plan to test it, keep in mind to take a good look at what this tool will try to remove, because if you don't, it can delete all files in the Donwloads folder.

Mr. Spacely

🤴 Super Admin
Uploader
Downloaded
153.9 GB
Uploaded
43.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
10970 (10970)
Member for 8 years
When installing Ccleaner, has always been other software included. You have to pay attention to what you install during installation. Just because Defender now flags it doesn't mean it's anything new. I will still use Ccleaner. When/ if I have an issue, I'll come back here and eat cake.

juanamm

Uploader
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5.7 GB
Uploaded
448.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (223)
Member for 5 years
When installing Ccleaner, has always been other software included. You have to pay attention to what you install during installation. Just because Defender now flags it doesn't mean it's anything new. I will still use Ccleaner. When/ if I have an issue, I'll come back here and eat cake.

This information is old, it was published in April, I think this problem with Defender is already solved. I still use it too.

ZeLimB

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
125.2 GB
Uploaded
1.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
can we add exceptions ? and the question does it better than ccleaner or not ^^

SiteWizard

Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
224.8 GB
Uploaded
31.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
12 (12)
Member for 9 years
@TheHarperdragon hmmm it must be that the dutch version is fine lol :)
i still have no problems here and i use the 2004 version

juanamm

Uploader
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5.7 GB
Uploaded
448.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (223)
Member for 5 years
can we add exceptions ? and the question does it better than ccleaner or not ^^

I do not use this tool, I just mentioned that it existed, if you want to see its operation to compare it with Ccleaner you will have to do your own research. :)

TheHarperdragon

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
913.2 GB
Uploaded
154.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
@TheHarperdragon hmmm it must be that the dutch version is fine lol :)
i still have no problems here and i use the 2004 version
Just sharing what comes across my news feed ... better to be forewarned :cool::cool::cool:

nasagih

Downloaded
13.4 GB
Uploaded
5.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
Im using ccleaner 5.60 version. I think the later version is buggy. Pls correct if im wrong.

juanamm

Uploader
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
5.7 GB
Uploaded
448.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (223)
Member for 5 years
Im using ccleaner 5.60 version. I think the later version is buggy. Pls correct if im wrong.

This news is from April, Ccleaner seems to have fixed the problem. I use v. 5.67.7773 without problems.

ibm650

Uploader
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
694.2 GB
Uploaded
47.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Ccleaner, which used to be called Crap cleaner, was bought by Avast in 2017. Among other things Avast was sneaking their AV with ccleaner. I no longer recommend it. I have used BleachBit, which is also open source and purported to be more thorough. Of course, there are many other alternatives for Windows, Linux, and macOS, as well as available on the App Store and Google Play Store. Also PrivaZer.

pranesh

Downloaded
16.1 GB
Uploaded
5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
THANLK UOFH HBJVD FB BVJV