Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Windows based DNS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyPhil

Downloaded
8.4 GB
Uploaded
2.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Hello!

Recently tried to get Pihole working in Docker on my Windows (10) based server but found out I can't check clients since all IPs show up as 172.* (Though it does work otherwise).
I am looking for a native Windows alternative for ad blocking and parental control.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--CP

Cyler

šŸ¤“ Super Admin
āš”OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
The IPs of the clients should all be in the same range (172.16.xx.xx in your case). Not sure if you mean something else but as long as all PCs point to your modem for DNS and the DNS values on your modem point to the pihole IP which should be your windows 10 acting as a server, it should have worked out.

Anyway to your question, you can google about parental control software, see which one fits your particular needs, and then check if we have it here and if not, then make a request for it.

A quick solution (and one that actually works well, I set a lot of friends and clients with this) till you find the right software would be to use Adguard DNS straight in your modem settings so any device that connects via your modem will also get protected (as long as its set to use DCHP) or in each PCs you want to protect DNS settings.

DNS server that blocks Ads and Trackers is
94.140.14.14 and 94.140.15.15

DNS server for Family protection that blocks ads, trackers, and adult content, and enables Safe Search
94.140.14.15 and 94.140.15.16

Give them a try until you find the software you like more and as always you can google for more info about AdGuard DNS.

Hope it helped.

CrazyPhil

Downloaded
8.4 GB
Uploaded
2.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Hey Cyler,

Thanks for the follow-up.
The issue I read is that Docker Windows doesn't support "network host" or something and as the image is isolated it causes this issue when Pihole is setup like this.
I run Ubiquiti at home with an older USG-4-Pro, and also have a Windows server running 24/7 with various applications - was hoping to continue to use the same appliance without the need to drop a Linux box to use Pihole's full features.
I am specifically searching for a feature rich equivalent for Windows (as a server), but a lot of rabbit holes and no rabbits...
Alot of DNS and Parental control side items are not local network based and fall outside of my search (Adguard seemed to as well, as far as I understand).

Thanks,

--CP

Cyler

šŸ¤“ Super Admin
āš”OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Hey Cyler,

Thanks for the follow-up.
The issue I read is that Docker Windows doesn't support "network host" or something and as the image is isolated it causes this issue when Pihole is setup like this.
I run Ubiquiti at home with an older USG-4-Pro, and also have a Windows server running 24/7 with various applications - was hoping to continue to use the same appliance without the need to drop a Linux box to use Pihole's full features.
I am specifically searching for a feature rich equivalent for Windows (as a server), but a lot of rabbit holes and no rabbits...
Alot of DNS and Parental control side items are not local network based and fall outside of my search (Adguard seemed to as well, as far as I understand).

Thanks,

--CP
After checking I wanted to say that you are right about Docker and the network host. I think tho with some effort it can be done via VMWare using a Linux distro like DietPi and pihole (which is included with dietPi), as Vmware can support a bridged connection and so the Virtual OS can be on the same subnet as the host PC (which is the problem you had with docker). 1 GB of ram and one VCPU should be enough for DietPi but if your hardware allows it, a bit more won't hurt either.

As an alternative, if you want a native windows app, I would suggest (again) the AdGuard DNS v2 application. I think it's as close as it gets to pihole. Visit the site, it has a free version for you to test and then see from that point on.

Last edited:

CrazyPhil

Downloaded
8.4 GB
Uploaded
2.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Hey Cyler,

I checked out AdGuard DNS v2 earlier, it is nice but it is a cloud service not a Windows based service (as in the DNS server runs locally):
"A cloud-based DNS service that blocks ads and protects your privacy"
Similar to OpenDNS or similar services.

Thanks,

--CP

Status
Not open for further replies.