Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Tech News Windows Defender Bug

A Windows Defender bug creates thousands of small files that waste gigabytes of storage space on Windows 10 hard drives.

The bug started with Windows Defender antivirus engine 1.1.18100.5 and will cause the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Store folder to be filled up with thousands of files with names that appear to be MD5 hashes.
From a system seen by BleepingComputer, the created files range in size from 600 bytes to a little over 1KB.

While the system we looked at only had approximately 1MB of files, other Windows 10 users that their systems have been filled up with hundreds of thousands of files, which in , used up 30GB of storage space.
On smaller SSD system drives this can be a considerable amount of storage space to waste on unnecessary files.

According to Deskmodder, who on this issue, the bug has now been fixed in the latest Windows Defender engine, version 1.1.18100.6.
Windows 10 users can by going to Windows Security, clicking on the Settings cog icon in the bottom left of the screen, and then selecting About.
If your Engine Version shows a number lower than 1.1.18100.6, you should go into Windows Update and click on the 'Check for updates' button to download the latest "Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus" update.
If this update is available, Windows Update will automatically install it and not require a restart of Windows 10.

Light_Eater

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
768.3 GB
Uploaded
111 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
I do have 1.1.18100.5, reinstalled system recently 28/04, the mentioned folder contains 2.5K of files, with 10MB in total
thx for digging it up

KB2267602 contained updates for Engine, Antivirus and Anti-spyware

Last edited:

Dale Martirez

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
378.2 GB
Uploaded
18.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Interesting stuff.. I installed the Ghost Spec OS from @The Professor and interestingly enough I don't even have the Windows Defender directory on my end and can't even access the windows security window lol.

Thanks for this info!

Dravin

Downloaded
128.8 GB
Uploaded
38.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
I never did like defender so I'm really glad when it's removed from a custom build.

SiteWizard

Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
228.8 GB
Uploaded
31.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
12 (12)
Member for 9 years
@00Proteus00 that is why defender is not running here :)
and CC is cleaning every rubbish file here :)

Dravin

Downloaded
128.8 GB
Uploaded
38.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
@00Proteus00 that is why defender is not running here :)
and CC is cleaning every rubbish file here :)
Well said, totally agree with you.