Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Duel boot- Linux and Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Loughran

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
144.6 GB
Uploaded
293.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
Hi Guys,
so I tried to install and duel boot a fantastic UA/ Linux distro and Windows 10. I have two separate Hard drives. I have windows on the first one and tried to install UA/Linux distro on the other one. I formatted it before the install. It all seemed to go well until I rebooted it to boot it up. No chance. I was only able to boot up using the other windows system. I am going to presume that I have not installed some sort of Grub to enable it to boot. But alas, I am only guessing. I hope the Linux system I installed will be accessible some time as it really look brill. I was hoping to use the second hard drive because I did not want the Linux system interfering with my Windows MBR. Hope that makes a bit of sense. Any advice would be appreciated.

All the best

Jimmy

SiteWizard

Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
233.6 GB
Uploaded
31.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
12 (12)
Member for 9 years
Follow the steps below to install Linux Mint in dual boot with Windows:
  1. Step 1: Create a live USB or disk. ...
  2. Step 2: Make a new partition for Linux Mint. ...
  3. Step 3: Boot in to live USB. ...
  4. Step 4: Start the installation. ...
  5. Step 5: Prepare the partition. ...
  6. Step 6: Create root, swap and home. ...
  7. Step 7: Follow the trivial instructions.

mkrleza

Si non confectus, non reficiat
Uploader
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
654.9 GB
Uploaded
65.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (7)
Member for 7 years
As @SiteWizard said in step 6 - maybe you've forgotten to dedicate a boot partition "/"?

Jimmy Loughran

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
144.6 GB
Uploaded
293.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
Thank you so much Guys. I can now try to move forward. All the very best.

Uncle Mac

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
91.3 GB
Uploaded
306.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
333 (352)
Member for 10 years
Very Complete.. Thanks to @SiteWizard .. perfect

Jimmy Loughran

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
144.6 GB
Uploaded
293.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
Hi Guys, I think this is the part where I am coming to a full stop after I think I have installed. I do not know how to do this. Step 6: Create root, swap and home. So, I must be doing something wrong as it is not giving me the chance to boot from it.

Cheers

Jimmy

mkrleza

Si non confectus, non reficiat
Uploader
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
654.9 GB
Uploaded
65.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (7)
Member for 7 years
Jimmy, I think that it would be best if you watched a video or two on YT on how to install Ubuntu distro (since this is Ubuntu-based)... Don't get me wrong, but if you don't know how to set up partitions, this conversation is gonna continue a long time.
Again, I do not mean to offend you and I apologize if you feel offended, but imagine installing Arch from CLI...

Skip1

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
117.3 GB
Uploaded
3.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
26 (23)
Member for 7 years
@Jimmy Loughran can use this too in order to try and fix grub if you installed it and or gain more information about your boot sequences https://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/
Also what distro specifically are you trying to install? There are so many options to choose from that semi automate the install process including setting up dual boot scenarios these days. I know you mentioned UA Linux but I'm not familiar and can't find a distro under that name under Distrowatch.

@mkrleza Installing Arch from cli....LOLS not yet here...I use Calamares to help with that still...:giggle:

Also Jimmy have you configured your BIOS a boot order sequence to even allow you to boot outside of Windows? Sometimes its the little things that turn out to be the issue. Make sure your secure boot is off and your BIOS lets you press a key (usually F12) to boot to your second hard drive where your linux install lives.

Last edited:

Jimmy Loughran

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
144.6 GB
Uploaded
293.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
Hi Guys, First of all let me quickly tell you how delighted I am that you got back to me so quickly. I take no offence at all on any advice you want to share with me. Thank you very much @mkrleza . The Distro is a ubuntu based Distro. Good point Skip about configuring my bios. This is something I was not aware of. I did actually try the F12 when I was booting up afterwards, but it just went into Windows. I need to know how to turn off my secure boot like you suggested. I shall try again on YT and also try like you suggested, Skip I will get back to you if I am successful.
Cheers.

Uncle Mac

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
91.3 GB
Uploaded
306.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
333 (352)
Member for 10 years
I've set up many dual boot configs over the years with Windows and many different configs of Linux and have never encountered this kind of issue.
From reading your post, it sounds like you installed grub on the wrong disk. It's likely the reason why you couldn't dual boot Windows and Linux.
Grub should be installed on the first hard disk where Windows resides, in the MBR. This way, you can dual boot Windows and LInux using Grub.
I've set it up many times like this and it has always worked. Installing Grub to the Linux only partition/disk, you won't be able to dual boot.

Jimmy Loughran

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
144.6 GB
Uploaded
293.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
Yup, that is in deed a very good answer , Dark wolf. I can see now where I was going wrong. I will try this asap. Just one more question, if you do not mind. If I was to format my two Hard drives just to have Linux on them, what would I need to do to the mail Hard drive in order for it to except the Linux system, being as it is formatted. Cheers once again, Guys.

Uncle Mac

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
91.3 GB
Uploaded
306.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
333 (352)
Member for 10 years
Yup, that is in deed a very good answer , Dark wolf. I can see now where I was going wrong. I will try this asap. Just one more question, if you do not mind. If I was to format my two Hard drives just to have Linux on them, what would I need to do to the mail Hard drive in order for it to except the Linux system, being as it is formatted. Cheers once again, Guys.

If I'm reading this correctly, please correct me if I'm wrong.. if you setup both of your HDD's with Linux only on them, then you setup whichever distro of linux you plan to use on your primary HDD (your first in the boot order in your BIOS) first, Then you setup your second HDD with another Linux distro (if that is what you are going for) and install the bootloader (grub) to the first HDD so dual boot will work.

Always remember this - whichever OS's you plan to dualboot and you are using two HDD/SSD's, always remember to setup your primary (boot) HDD first, then your second HDD. If it's Windows and LInux, Install Windows to the first HDD. Install Linux to the second HDD. Install the bootloader (grub) to the first HDD so dualboot will work. Same is true if you are dualbooting two different Linux distros.

Light_Eater

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
768.3 GB
Uploaded
111 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
I think @Dark Wolf is right about the cause of the problem. There are a few solutions to solve it:
- reinstall Grub in MBR of the first drive, first partition
- push what ever F key (probably F8 or F12)you need to push during boot to get a boot menu, choose the partition the linux has been installed (silly solution but should work)
- instal Grub2Win (the easiest solution)

As to the disk, when installing linux, a bunch of partitions is created, non of them is NTFS. The best is to give it a whole HDD or shrink other partitions and leave enough of unallocated space for linux installed to divide.
Distributions based on Ubuntu should recognize that win is present and give you an option to install linux beside it = grub in MBR of the first drive, even if the rest of the system in on other drives, but sometimes something goes wrong.

If you are starting with linux, get yourself a book to get yourself a good and easier start. Good luck Jimmy

Proteus

acta non verba
⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
207 GB
Uploaded
35.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (229)
Member for 5 years
Before this gets closed, I do this ALL the time. I will Install Win7 on a HD, pull the HD, put in another HD then install Win10, pull HD, then put in another HD and install Linux on it, I will then put ALL drives in the machine and change the BIOS to boot to the LINUX HD, then when there, I run Grub Customizer (awesome 3rd party app for linux for GUI Grub Management), and it finds ALL OS's and creates a grub menu. Then just choose which to boot to when machine boots up and loads grub. Feel free to close this now :)

Skip1

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
117.3 GB
Uploaded
3.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
26 (23)
Member for 7 years
This is as complete as it's going to get, given the amount of input and resources available here and the broader community considering this answered.
Thank you everyone for your contributions. @Jimmy Loughran Good luck.

The Professor

Uploader
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
31 GB
Uploaded
33.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
44 (46)
Member for 10 years