Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Installing windows 10 on an old notebook - Unable to install due to the GPT drive format vs MBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

klumsyboy

Downloaded
26 GB
Uploaded
16 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
Hi, I am installing windows 10 on an old windows 8.1 notebook (from the era before the bios had UEFI or legacy mode options), so windows gives me an error about unable to install as the drive needs to be formatted in GPT drive format not MBR.

Is there any way to convert an existing drive to GPT format without wiping all the data (almost 2TB) so I can install windows 10?

Mr. Spacely

🤴 Super Admin
Uploader
Downloaded
153.9 GB
Uploaded
44.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
11650 (11650)
Member for 8 years
Hi, I am installing windows 10 on an old windows 8.1 notebook (from the era before the bios had UEFI or legacy mode options), so windows gives me an error about unable to install as the drive needs to be formatted in GPT drive format not MBR.

Is there any way to convert an existing drive to GPT format without wiping all the data (almost 2TB) so I can install windows 10?
Rufus

Proteus

acta non verba
⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
207 GB
Uploaded
35.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (229)
Member for 5 years

No. You have 2 options when formatting a LARGE drive. Up to 2.1 terrabyte can be formatted as MBR, Windows computers wont see more than 2.1tb no matter how big the drive is if formatted to MBR. If formatted to GPT, you can then see ALL available disk space. If your drive is formatted to MBR, then you are pretty much screwed.

there are tools that CLAIM to be able to do this non-destructively, my experience has been otherwise. My suggestion, boot with a PE Rescue Disk (hirens works well) and backup everything you want saved onto multiple flash drives, then format the drive and start from scratch. If you want to try to convert the drive, here is a tool that may work for you.

Convert MBR to GPT without data loss using Gptgen
You can convert MBR to GPT without losing data – using a command line utility called gptgen. Gptgen is a tool designed to non-destructively convert hard disks partitioned in the common, “MSDOS-style” MBR scheme (including extended partitions) to use a GUID partition table (GPT).

It’s a very extensive tool but a bit complicated to run. According to the tool’s ‘read me’ file, the syntax of the tool is “gptgen [-w] \\.\physicaldriveX”, where X is the drive number reported by the Disk Management console or the “list disk” command of the DISKPART utility. The -w switch makes gptgen write the generated GUID partition tables to the disk – otherwise, the primary table will be written to a file named “primary.img“, and the secondary table to “secondary.img“, in the directory that the program was invoked from. You can then use dd to write the tables to the disk.

klumsyboy

Downloaded
26 GB
Uploaded
16 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
Thanks omg you are right I did not notice that option before, how could I have missed it! let me try again.

jubilum

Downloaded
423.8 GB
Uploaded
171.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
if you want to try MBR enable legacy mode and back up your drives..... If you wnat to stay GPT then go on.. if you have partition just format and install windows...its your choice... Use Rufus....

Proteus

acta non verba
⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
207 GB
Uploaded
35.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (229)
Member for 5 years
if you want to try MBR enable legacy mode and back up your drives..... If you wnat to stay GPT then go on.. if you have partition just format and install windows...its your choice... Use Rufus....

true, BUT remember, MBR can only see 2.1tb. If you have a 3+ tb drive, i recommend GPT so you can utilize the whole drive.

vdogeek

🤴 Super Admin
Uploader
Downloaded
93.5 GB
Uploaded
56.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1199 (1205)
Member for 9 years
There has been no response since the last one 25 days ago, closed, locked and tagged as completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.