Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Lifetime writes to SSD have been used up, from what I wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef682

Downloaded
88.7 GB
Uploaded
159.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
So I bought a Small form factor PC two years ago to be used as Torrents and Modded Minecraft Server, The torrents are stored on a second 2.5" SSD and minecraft was for 3 players and was modded with backups done every 30 min.
The PC is an HP 800 G4 SFF with a 256GB NVME SK hynix BC501 HFM256GDJTNG-8310A, and the SMART data reports it will likely fail soon with 21TB or written data. I got this new I thought and in a non HP branded box, Maybe it was used prior to me getting.

After running for about 2 hours or so the system will lockup with no HDMI, how I found my issue was I looked at the SMART logs.

My question is does Torrent partial downloaded parts (my case stored on the 256GB drive) write that much data over time (havent downloaded nearly 21TB, maybe 2TB) or somehow minecraft was spamming writes? or maybe the previous owner used it all.

My solution is I just ordered a fresh 256GB NVME and will sell the PC as I no longer use as often.
other note is the second ssd for torrent storage is mostly fine, some life writes wear but is still ok for something I ordered from used server parts.

Genius7979

Banned
Downloaded
666.2 GB
Uploaded
58.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
127 (0)
Member for 6 years
The SSD Life was shorted with previous owner usage ,, the torrenting on it not kill it so fast !!

hamabe

: It's that time again : 。゚・ (>﹏<) ・゚。
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
435.9 GB
Uploaded
37.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
You can just set download location to the HDD drive for torrents instead of using SSD
SSD should only be used for OS drive or gaming unlike torrents
which has alot of heavy write requirements also adding in your back-up schedule likely used up the SSD lifecycle.

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Because it will fail soon with 21 TB written, doesn't mean that that is the issue. A typical 256 GB should be around 100 to 170 TBW with some quality manufacturers offering even more. Of course, nothing is that simple cause the TB Written value is only one aspect and other aspects have to do with how full your SSD is which determines how many cells are left free to use for repeat writing.

Your issue is probably one of the following:
* Temperatures: You can check your SSD temps, especially when you write by using any SSD info software such as HWINFO64. If it goes above 60 C that is most likely the reason and since the HP 800 is a small-factor PC I think it can be the most probable cause.
* You were unfortunate and had a bad disk meaning damaged cells or a damaged controller or it got damaged from other reasons (power failure).

As for your question, Torrents unless someone writes several TBs per day, won't be an issue. Torrents most often write once and read many and SSDs don't care for how many times you read... but that is not the only thing that gets written on your disk. Anything from windows Virtual memory, to temp files from apps or windows (browsers for example) as well as the controller doing maintenance and rearranging data, performs writes on your disk as well as other software you might use but even with those... I can't see you getting to that high number of 21 TB which makes me believe that your disk may have been a used part. Luckily the CrystalDisk tool can tell you for how many hours the disk is working and if that exceeds the No of days you have it... then you will know the truth.

This is a disk I use on one of my older PCs for 8 months now

Qun4QH.jpg

Even tho the disk is the main disk on the system even after 8 months of 24/7 use it barely got to 5 TB and even then it's at 98% which means the disk can last for about 500TB of data written.

Hope it helped.

Beef682

Downloaded
88.7 GB
Uploaded
159.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
pre-built pc's are crap and have low end tech in them, this ssd reports that TRIM is unsupported as well as SMART. I also see its PCI gen 3 at 2X speed, OOF. and yeah I forgot about virtual memory.

thanks for all the feedback, I ordered a new 256Gig drive and I will sell this PC

DGrigorescu

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
316 GB
Uploaded
1.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
10+ years ago I heard how HP test their PCs in various conditions in order to be as stable as possible even few months. It seems things changed...

Etherium

Downloaded
14.5 GB
Uploaded
34.2 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 1 years
Look for a program called ssdready. With it you can record write usage while doing your regular activities to see what is causing it. Disabling browser cache and page file was a big help. If your system is fine you can also disable event logging. This worked for me

Uncle Mac

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
91.3 GB
Uploaded
306.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
333 (352)
Member for 10 years
Just an fyi, @Beef682 .....
Not all pre-built PC's are crap. I have a new one that's also a small form factor PC. Though I do prefer to build my own, this new one suits my needs easily. Lots of power to spare.
Also came with a new NVMe ssd ...

That's just my two cents on this. Thread now closed since your issue is now resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.