Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Make bootup stop at Bios Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

erobbins

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
200.3 GB
Uploaded
5.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
I have several Windows to go portable SSD drives. When my computer boots, I would like the process to stop at the Bios screen so I can choose which drive to boot from. My old computer did this but I don't know how or why. Then all I had to do was so click the boot tab and select my drive. I want my new computer to do the same.

fantom

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
1,590.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years

chingjunju

I think that he need boot menu after boot menu /first to select boot drive in BIOS.... then from that drive selection from which partition to boot

Shall check when come home .... or tomorrow.... never work that way with wins-on-the-go

Last edited:

TheHarperdragon

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
920.2 GB
Uploaded
157.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
Your motherboard manufacturer should have all that info on their website - that's always my first goto when messing about with the BIOS on my systems

znop01

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
200.5 GB
Uploaded
800.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years

chingjunju

I think that he need boot menu after boot menu /first to select boot drive in BIOS.... then from that drive selection from which partition to boot

Shall check when come home .... or tomorrow.... never work that way with wins-on-the-go
To access the Boot Options Menu on Windows 8 or 10, Shift+Left click "Restart" in the Start Menu or on the sign-in screen. You can also navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery to access the boot options menu, or run "shutdown /r /o" in an elevated Command Prompt or PowerShell window.

Uncle Mac

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
91.3 GB
Uploaded
306.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
333 (352)
Member for 10 years
Install Grub Boot Loader or Windows Boot Manager.. Tiny Apps they are

Quetzalcoatl

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
265.3 GB
Uploaded
504 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
When you have installed multiple OS on multiple partition of a drive, all you need is a grub to differentiate the boot loader.

There are some tweaks that allows you to stay in gurb menu from few seconds to minutes until you select one.

I assume grub loader is what you are looking for, and if it is not the grub, then i need some explanation of your query to help you more.

Richard_dn

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
702 GB
Uploaded
14.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
Google would have been your best option. It doesn't really need a thread, a simple search revealed

"At the point when a computer is starting up, you can get to the Boot Menu by pressing some keys.
The keys that are generally used to open the Boot Menu are Esc, F2, F10 or F12,
which rely on the companies of the computers or motherboards."

So if your drives are bootable you select it Solved!

Quetzalcoatl

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
265.3 GB
Uploaded
504 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Google would have been your best option. It doesn't really need a thread, a simple search revealed

"At the point when a computer is starting up, you can get to the Boot Menu by pressing some keys.
The keys that are generally used to open the Boot Menu are Esc, F2, F10 or F12,
which rely on the companies of the computers or motherboards."

So if your drives are bootable you select it Solved!
I assume boot menu isn't what the op is looking for since boot menu offers from which device does your OS should boot.

What i assume is grub loader, a good example of grub loader would be when we install dual OS in a single drive. Since it was the OP was referring since they wanted to boot from single device and drive with multiple OS to boot.

Uncle Mac

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
91.3 GB
Uploaded
306.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
333 (352)
Member for 10 years
STOP HERE NOW Until the OP at least shows up.. Enough.

ki_2004

Downloaded
260.1 MB
Uploaded
9.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Is your current computer system (rather OSs) UEFI boot or Legacy boot or is your boot mode in BIOS set to UEFI or CSM?

erobbins

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
200.3 GB
Uploaded
5.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Thanks everyone for the advice

First, I did check Google, didn't really find anything to stop bootup at the bios screen (from there I can choose my drive)

Yes, I have been pressing the delete key to open the Bios then go to the boot menu.
That is a Pain. Every single time I boot. That's why I wanted my new computer to behave like my old computer.
The old one boots up and stops at the bios screen where I can select my drive.

I don't have multiple OS on multiple partitions of a drive. Each install has it's own Windows To Go drive install all to itself.

These SSD portable drives (mainly SanDisk with the keyhole) all show in the Bios screen. All I need is to know how to set the computer to stop on the Bios Screen while booting up (without pressing any keys).

I use these portable Sandisk SSD on both of my computers. When on the Oldie, bootup stops at the bios screen every time it boots, if I am at the computer or not (sometimes if I get a phone call when I finish and come back to the computer it is still waiting for me to select the drive.

When on my new computer, the same drives do not stop at the Bios Screen on its own. I have to hit the delete key. Every time.

It has been awhile since I made one of the Windows to Go (Hasleo) so I'm not sure if I used Legacy or Uefi. I think it might be legacy as that is what Hasleo suggests for maximum compatibility. They Windows install itself does work on both my Old and New Computer. Whether the Oldie stops at the Bios Screen, or I keep hitting the delete key on the New.

If a Boot Loader or manager will work for what I want, I am open to that. Way way back in the day I tried a dual boot setting and got rid of it fast. So not sure how this will work when I plug and unplug various SSD portable Sandisk drives.
My Oldie has 3 and 4 portable SSD USB drives usually pluged in in all the time. When it stops at the Bios I just select one and it continues to boot. Sometimes I plug and unplug drives to check some files out, and everything still works as it should.

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Based on what you said, what you need to do, is to go to bios settings and enable the show boot options or Boot Menu or Quick Boot. You may need to read your manual to find the exact option. This option allows you to access the boot menu during startup and you will see a message like Press F12 for the boot menu, which will let you choose which disk to boot other than the one you have set as default. Not as elegant but very practical since you will be at the PC after the restart to select the boot disk anyway. By default, this message is hidden in a lot of BIOS and you need to find it and set it. Alternatively, if you cant find it, tell us which Mobo you have and we can look it up.

The other option is to go with a boot manager as people mentioned above, but I think you will have to add each new boot option every time you create one.

Hope it helped.

erobbins

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
200.3 GB
Uploaded
5.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Based on what you said, what you need to do, is to go to bios settings and enable the show boot options or Boot Menu or Quick Boot. You may need to read your manual to find the exact option. This option allows you to access the boot menu during startup and you will see a message like Press F12 for the boot menu, which will let you choose which disk to boot other than the one you have set as default. Not as elegant but very practical since you will be at the PC after the restart to select the boot disk anyway. By default, this message is hidden in a lot of BIOS and you need to find it and set it. Alternatively, if you cant find it, tell us which Mobo you have and we can look it up.

The other option is to go with a boot manager as people mentioned above, but I think you will have to add each new boot option every time you create one.

Hope it helped.
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I need. I looked for the manual which is still inside the box which is put away. But my motherboard is:
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO EVA (LGA1700)

I have been on the boot page in the Bios for a couple days now. Was looking all over for anything that would work. I didn't find anything at all, so if you could find where Asus has hidden it, that would be great! Thank you again so much.
E

ki_2004

Downloaded
260.1 MB
Uploaded
9.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
You will still need to press a key to land at the boot menu screen. Many boards have F2 or Del to enter BIOS and F12 to get the boot menu. Generally info about these keys is displayed on the Boot up logo for about 1 - 2 seconds before it continues with POST.
I doubt if any board offers a feature to pause at the boot menu or BIOS automatically.
You can switch between Easy and Advanced mode once inside BIOS by pressing F7 and check if there's any reference to Boot menu somewhere if not visible on boot up logo screen.

You will have to try boot managers and see if anything works for you. e.g. there's one called rEFInd for UEFI boot. See if it works for you if you are in EFI mode. I have never tried it though, just giving a pointer to try it out.

fantom

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
1,590.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
To access the Boot Options Menu on Windows 8 or 10, Shift+Left click "Restart" in the Start Menu or on the sign-in screen. You can also navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery to access the boot options menu, or run "shutdown /r /o" in an elevated Command Prompt or PowerShell window.
He need it on BIOS boot, not from Win backward ... if I understand it correctly he want that his machine stop on boot from options in BIOS. to have ability to chose from which to boot it /disk-partition..../

erobbins

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
200.3 GB
Uploaded
5.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
He need it on BIOS boot, not from Win backward ... if I understand it correctly he want that his machine stop on boot from options in BIOS. to have ability to chose from which to boot it /disk-partition..../
At this point, I'll take anything that can let me choose!

Richard_dn

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
702 GB
Uploaded
14.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
At this point, I'll take anything that can let me choose!
boot managers might be a problem if you swap out boot drives , but it can be done
I have used easybcd to have multiboot that's pretty easy plus if you untick DEFAULT
and or add time to boot a disk like 30 seconds it will stop the boot process and give you that time to select what disk you want

plenty of vids online how to set it up and will do what you want.

znop01

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
200.5 GB
Uploaded
800.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
I'm not sure that's possible without the use of a Boot manager. Back in the day, I used to do that when IBM's OS/2 hit the market to compete with Microsoft's Windows NT and MS-DOS using the now defunct Fdisk (partition) command. However, I think the link I provided below in parentheses might help in a roundabout way.

Last edited:

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Uploader
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
93.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
264 (272)
Member for 7 years
turn off fastboot!

Taurus

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
17.3 GB
Uploaded
401.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Easybcd is the answer.

Multiple boot options available to cater to every need. Go to youtube for vids.

Status
Not open for further replies.