Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Suggest a new age laptop for personal use, gaming and high end processor (budget based please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 4 years
As per the subject line:
Suggest a new age laptop for personal use, gaming and high end processor (budget based please)
Ohh and should have the side keypad, else it is useless tbvh. Also, after reading through this July article: https://www.cdw.com/content/cdw/en/articles/hardware/ssd-types-m2-sata-nvme-u2.html, I am more confused about the cards/storage space that I should be looking for.
Something like: (like and not rigid. I am just speculating here to garner ideas and feedback)
Touch screen (if that is something available)
16"+ screen size (minimum)
1TB space (see the confusion post url above) (though I have my own HDD & SSD, so if that can be discounted for by any seller, is what I hope for, lols)
32GB RAM, minimum
Processor speed & any cooling details I should check for?
Latest hardware, with proper support, and where I can install FBConan's ISO's, as well as dual boot with my own server, or triple boot + linux.
Graphics card and ability to convert in at least X265/HEVC mode for movies/videos. I hate large space eating movie files, lols.

Anything else which would be a good to get. Budget is a constraint though, but I will be taking up something which I can pay in EMIs, if possible.

I currently own HP Notebokk, 15AC-120TX with 1TB SSD, 250GB SSD, 16GB DDR3 (8*2), 1GB AMD Radeon GPU and 15.6" Screen.
Original specs when bought in 2016: 8GB(4*2), 256GB(Replaced wity 1TB HDD during purchase itself), Optical drive replaced with 250GBSSD. Rest all remains same.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
265.3 GB
Uploaded
504 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
Hello, Seeing as you have been a member and at a higher hierarchy of user, i think there is little to less people who can advice you when you have decided configuration you want based on your consumption. My take from this post is that you are looking for a specific laptop that encompass all these features you have mentioned or close to that since hunting for a really good laptop takes time and patience with all those various model coming out every other week in the market. That being said, let me help you clear some of your thoughts in minimizing the models to look for.

Ohh and should have the side keypad, else it is useless tbvh.

16"+ screen size (minimum)
As much and far i have seen laptops and know about them, i am yet to come across a laptop without side keypad in 15.6" or greater versions. I have come to the conclusion that all the designs that are greater than 14" have side keypad included in their frame [And since it takes time and lots of resource for R&D to come up with new enticing design that has been constant for the past 20 years, i guess they left it out in the market to let it generate revenue as much as it can based on the old design, is what i have come to believe]

Your Requirements:
Touch screen (if that is something available)
Personal Opinion, Don't go for it. It looks really exciting to use touch feature in a larger display when we are used to touch option in smartphones but there really isn't much use of touch feature in laptops [I Believe it is a corporate gimmick to milk more money] it is more reasonable to use touch screen since it is the cutting edge technology but looking for long term usage, it is definitely a bad idea to go for it. Reason: Other than graphic designers or people who are in the designing field there is little to no use of touch screen if you use for Personal & Gaming Purpose

1TB space (see the confusion post url above) (though I have my own HDD & SSD, so if that can be discounted for by any seller, is what I hope for, lols)
Again, depends on how your usage is. If you were to ask me to choose between HDD & SSD & NVMe, it is hands down HDD. I know SSD & NVMe has its own speed benefits, but i ain't gonna save the world by the differential time i would have saved if i had used NVMe or SSD. Also, HDD is Cost effective, i can buy double digit TB worth of space whereas SSD & NVMe give me less than 1 TB at the same price. Best would be to go for 256GB or less SSD and 2 TB HDD Combination. [I don't suppose any seller would do that for a brand new model, if you find one, then you are in luck]

32GB RAM, minimum
Go for DDR4 version. In the Maximum laptops that used to carry DDR3 Version, the RAM Upper limit was 16 GB [8GB per slot and most laptop had 2 slots, since the upper limit of DDR3 was 8GB but that isn't the case with DDR4 since the upper limit is 64GB per slot, so you can upgrade to the max of 128 GB if the motherboard has more than one slot] [Although, Some version of motherboard uses embedded RAM + 1 Additional slot, just beware of those before purchase] [Also, since the DDR4 is relatively new, the prices are high but by the time you may need a upgradation, i assume the price of DDR4 to be equivalent to that of the DDR3]

Processor speed & any cooling details I should check for?
There isn't anything worth mentioning over this topic. since you are going to be buying a batch product and not a custom made, every product will be more or less the same at the desired budget. Processing Speed varies with generation, about which i will let you in detail below. Most Laptops have heat vent in the sides, but there are dumb designs too where the heat vent is in the bottom case [stay away from those laptop] [But if you really like some models with heat vent in the bottom, buy a cooling pad too (not a expensive one, but just the one that tilts your laptop in 45 degree)]

Latest hardware, with proper support, and where I can install FBConan's ISO's, as well as dual boot with my own server, or triple boot + linux.
Graphics card and ability to convert in at least X265/HEVC mode for movies/videos. I hate large space eating movie files, lols.
I guess we have pretty much covered everything except processor. Display, Space, RAM [Three crucial elements for daily usage]

Seeing as how you want to multi boot, and keep the system in good speed. i would suggest to go for the highest tier and latest generation of cores. The most prominent cores in the market are AMD and Intel.

Personally, i have never used laptop speakers, it is mostly headphones or surround systems [if you are movie watcher and a player, i presume there is little to zero work for the in built speaker, so whatever the brand is, it matters less since the sound conversion of movies and gaming will be done by the players itself and you won't need a special driver to fine tune the default sound of games and movies unless you are a pro in that field]

I currently own HP Notebokk, 15AC-120TX with 1TB SSD, 240GB SSD, 16GB DDR3 (8*2), 1GB AMD Radeon GPU and 15.6" Screen.
I looked up the laptop in google and the specs you have mentioned is very different from what i saw in google. I have few laptop brands and some specific laptops designs that you might be interested in but since the list is long, it is tiresome. Please look up the specs and tell me your specs exactly so that i can tell some suggestions because i can't tell you to work on something without knowing in what you have worked on.

If you are satisfied with my insights, then it is all good. but if you need some more to work on, i need the exact specs and history of your laptop.

[P.S.: As a fellow hp user, i am sure you would have changed your hinges atleast once] :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 4 years
Hello, Seeing as you have been a member and at a higher hierarchy of user, i think there is little to less people who can advice you when you have decided configuration you want based on your consumption. My take from this post is that you are looking for a specific laptop that encompass all these features you have mentioned or close to that since hunting for a really good laptop takes time and patience with all those various model coming out every other week in the market. That being said, let me help you clear some of your thoughts in minimizing the models to look for.
That is very wrong here. Even if someone has a bit more of responsibility via access level, everyone should be approachable. I can say that for me. :)
But agreed, I did make few mistakes in the OP by not mentioning clearly few details. Amended them after writing this response.

As much and far i have seen laptops and know about them, i am yet to come across a laptop without side keypad in 15.6" or greater versions. I have come to the conclusion that all the designs that are greater than 14" have side keypad included in their frame [And since it takes time and lots of resource for R&D to come up with new enticing design that has been constant for the past 20 years, i guess they left it out in the market to let it generate revenue as much as it can based on the old design, is what i have come to believe]
Agreed. Though the screen ratio gets eaten down by almost 15% and that makes it kind of smaller screen at times. It does help with the sides though and acts kind of a guard for slippery hands.

Your Requirements:

Personal Opinion, Don't go for it. It looks really exciting to use touch feature in a larger display when we are used to touch option in smartphones but there really isn't much use of touch feature in laptops [I Believe it is a corporate gimmick to milk more money] it is more reasonable to use touch screen since it is the cutting edge technology but looking for long term usage, it is definitely a bad idea to go for it. Reason: Other than graphic designers or people who are in the designing field there is little to no use of touch screen if you use for Personal & Gaming Purpose

Completely agree. I will have much wear and tear, but I keep my stuffs like I bought it this moment. My current laptop still shows minimal as such, even after 6.6 years of falling and whatnot. Lols

Again, depends on how your usage is. If you were to ask me to choose between HDD & SSD & NVMe, it is hands down HDD. I know SSD & NVMe has its own speed benefits, but i ain't gonna save the world by the differential time i would have saved if i had used NVMe or SSD. Also, HDD is Cost effective, i can buy double digit TB worth of space whereas SSD & NVMe give me less than 1 TB at the same price. Best would be to go for 256GB or less SSD and 2 TB HDD Combination. [I don't suppose any seller would do that for a brand new model, if you find one, then you are in luck]
Agreed. Brand new ones will not have that, but yeah with 2TB HDD it would be better. I do have this laptop and I have 1TB HDD in it + 250SSD. I don't have a need for CD/DVD drives too and I can always utilise that space when I need.

Go for DDR4 version. In the Maximum laptops that used to carry DDR3 Version, the RAM Upper limit was 16 GB [8GB per slot and most laptop had 2 slots, since the upper limit of DDR3 was 8GB but that isn't the case with DDR4 since the upper limit is 64GB per slot, so you can upgrade to the max of 128 GB if the motherboard has more than one slot] [Although, Some version of motherboard uses embedded RAM + 1 Additional slot, just beware of those before purchase] [Also, since the DDR4 is relatively new, the prices are high but by the time you may need a upgradation, i assume the price of DDR4 to be equivalent to that of the DDR3]
Now here is where I am dried out with confusion. What difference does it really make with DDR5 and 4? I was gonna go for 4 anyways, but heck, have been seeing too many 5 models too. I read, but other than the difference in speed, I read nothing to sear any big difference.

There isn't anything worth mentioning over this topic. since you are going to be buying a batch product and not a custom made, every product will be more or less the same at the desired budget. Processing Speed varies with generation, about which i will let you in detail below. Most Laptops have heat vent in the sides, but there are dumb designs too where the heat vent is in the bottom case [stay away from those laptop] [But if you really like some models with heat vent in the bottom, buy a cooling pad too (not a expensive one, but just the one that tilts your laptop in 45 degree)]
Yeah, one seller told me how good having heat vent below are. I do understand, as the side vent makes a lot of heat at my left hand, same with my office dell laptop. However, I will still always go with side vent and not bottom ones.

I guess we have pretty much covered everything except processor. Display, Space, RAM [Three crucial elements for daily usage]

Seeing as how you want to multi boot, and keep the system in good speed. i would suggest to go for the highest tier and latest generation of cores. The most prominent cores in the market are AMD and Intel.
Ryzen or Radeon for AMD? I would prefer AMD over Intel tbvh.

Personally, i have never used laptop speakers, it is mostly headphones or surround systems [if you are movie watcher and a player, i presume there is little to zero work for the in built speaker, so whatever the brand is, it matters less since the sound conversion of movies and gaming will be done by the players itself and you won't need a special driver to fine tune the default sound of games and movies unless you are a pro in that field]
Ohh, I have few needs and believe it or not, the speakers on my system are used almost 85% of the time daily.

I looked up the laptop in google and the specs you have mentioned is very different from what i saw in google. I have few laptop brands and some specific laptops designs that you might be interested in but since the list is long, it is tiresome. Please look up the specs and tell me your specs exactly so that i can tell some suggestions because i can't tell you to work on something without knowing in what you have worked on.

If you are satisfied with my insights, then it is all good. but if you need some more to work on, i need the exact specs and history of your laptop.
I modified my laptop couple of times. Unfortunately by the times my hinges replacement came, the market did not have the pair left for my model and it took almost 2 years to get them back, but by then I had moved out of that city and the retailer/HP distributor refused to ship it. Even HP support did not have it available.

[P.S.: As a fellow hp user, i am sure you would have changed your hinges atleast once] :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Actually I made few changes last year.
Instead of 8GB (4*2), I upgraded to 16GB(8*2). Removed optical drive and inserted 250GB SSD there and. Replaced the HDD during purchase to 1TB instead of 256GB back in 2016.

Wow, you remind me of Cyler. Usually he is the one to go into such healthy responses. Seeing he did like your comments. :) My responses above.

Last edited:

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
I wanted to do a bit of research and this is what I can tell you, but I have a feeling you already will know more or less.

There is no viable way someone can recommend a specific laptop unless they live in the same region you do, simply because laptops, even if they have the same model number, may vary from zone to zone and even from one release date to another. The models Europeans can buy, are often different even if by little than the Asian models or USA models, and so on.

So instead of recommending a laptop, I will actually focus on your questions and comments and in that way may help you make a better decision.

First of all, I would say that for power users, laptops are not ideal unless you are on the road for the majority of your life and work. The reason is simple:
It's rare to have control over specific hardware. Yes, they can have for example 16 Gb of ram... but what kind of ram? What speed, and what latency? Most f the time, we have no control over such things when we buy a laptop. Yes, they can have 1 TB Nvme but with what technology (TLC, QLC) what interface (Sata or Nvme ), what speed, and what durability? When we talk about the new CPUS with multiple cores and high Ghz we are also talking about insane heat that a laptop cant easily cool and when the CPU can't be cooled... it throttles and drops GHz and performance. The same happens with NVMe disks when they get hot they slow down.

As for performance, compare a 6 core from a laptop and a desktop, and you can easily see you can get anything from 20% to 45% better performance and even 65%+ when we talk about the lower Wattage CPUs always with the same generations and cores. Compare the same graphic chip on desktop vs mobile. You will see the same difference especially if it's a Maxx-Q. Add now the cost which means a similar spec desktop is cheaper than a laptop and you can understand why I suggest a desktop unless the user is on the move or there is a space issue tho modern PCs dont take that much more space than 17 Inch laptops. Just place the tower behind the LCD monitor and you are set. No need to answer this, it was just a suggestion. If you must have a laptop, then you must have a laptop.

Now that we got this out of the way, let's talk about the laptop parts:

RAM: Not sure what you do and need 32 GB of ram, but unless you plan to run 2-3 OSes in VMs concurrently or have such an app that can actually utilize so much ram, stay with 16 GB and lower the cost. You also need to check the MHz ( a lot of laptops come with 2400 rams that make the CPU go a LOT slower than it should). If for example, you plan to buy an AMD you will need 3200 Mhz CL-16 to CL-18 SO-DIMMs. As for the DDR5/DDR4, it's not up to you to decide, but rather what the laptop CPU and Mobo use. If the CPU is designed for DDR4, you have no option. If the mobo has DDR5 slots, you have no option again. I don't think I have seen a laptop mobo that supports both DDR4/5. I would suggest and for cost reasons only, to prefer a DDR4-based laptop.

CPU: Check the Wattage along with the base frequency. Many laptops only advertises the boost, but the base will help you better as it's hard to go below that. Prefer the 45W (or higher for intel) models as they give a LOT better performance and can boost for much longer than the 12/15W ones but also.. get hotter and ask for more energy and therefore reduced battery life. No of Cores is up to you but don't get below 6.

DISK: I'll keep it simple. NVMe or Sata is the technology and M.2 is the form factor (the shape) or the way it connects to the Motherboard and so
NVMe disk can be an M.2 or can be a PCI card or can be a U.2 (external box)
Sata can also be in M.2 form factor (with a different pin connection) or as an SFF (the 2.5' we all know) or as a PCI card.
Needless to say, you need an NVMe U2 for your laptop as it has much better speeds. Now having said that, It should be at least a PCI3 X 4 mode. Some manufactures use cheaper models, with PCI3 x 2 speeds but its not easy to find out, only after you buy the laptop or do a VERY extensive search, It's hard to find PCI4 cause Laptops don't run on infinite power and PCI4 asks for a lot more than PCI3.

For extra storage add whatever you like and whatever your apps ask. To be clear for Mp4/Mkv Video and music storage a normal spinner will be just fine but for multi-channel editing and virtual Machines, and any app that does multiple reads/writes, Sata/NVme is way better. To be honest tho a 1TB HDD will cost like $35 while a 1 TB SSD about $54. Not sure if saving $19, is a good trade-off for losing the speed and IOPS but that is up to you.

Graphic Card: Here, things are simple. The stronger... the better...A 3060 is better than a 3050 which is better than 1660 which is better than 1650. Your budget will determine which mobile chip but remember, the higher the chip, the more heat, and noise you will get.

Touch screen... Stay far away. Fun at the start, boring and useless after, unless you plan to use the laptop as a controller. I often install laptops with touch screens for DJs, Light Controls for clubs, and sometimes for presentations. In all other cases, the mouse wins. :p Even the touchpad is better.

Monitor size: Up to you, but remember you can always hook an external monitor too.

Know this tho and I can't emphasize it enough. The higher the specs, the higher the fan noise and the higher the battery drain when mobile, and there is no way around this unless you don't run something intensive so to keep it quiet, but then, what is the point of buying something with many cores, and ram and never using it to its maximum potential? I have a lot of clients and friends regretting buying the new "gaming" laptops from both Intel and AMD with Nvidia graphics cards and getting annoyed by the fan noise. To make things worse, the more budget a powerful laptop is, the noisier it will get because where they save money, is partly the cooling system. It's better to go to a place that sells Laptops and ask to run something like prime95 to push the CPU or a benchmark to use both CPU/GPU and hear the noise.

Now if I was you and since you know your budget, I would see what laptops are around that price range and offer the most of the above Research the internet to see what they actually come equipped with (ram/disk/CPU specs) and then buy the one you like the most after reading reviews.

Hope it helped and good luck with your new laptop.

Last edited:

Sharrow

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
367.4 GB
Uploaded
587.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years

Cyler and September222022 nailed it!!

Nuf said! :D

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 4 years
I had this in mind of a m desktop. The only thing holding me back is my travels, every 2-3 months, and I need my computer with me on most of these occassions, if not always.
I am going out in the market today to find more out, and have couple of local shops which have been named by neighbours and few others. Let me see what I get, and which may suit me best. I still have my AC15-120TX anyways, so that can run as usual unless I get some further issues wiht it. The battery I had replaced last year is starting to give out, and the shopkeeper had mentioned, if it runs 6-9 months, it will be my best option. It has run 14 months already, but still will run another year, for sure. Then this laptop will be out of anything as the motherboard at times runs too hot, even with nothing running. So, time to change and have a desktop/laptop, based on the quotes I get. Let's see. Thanks @September222022 and @Cyler for the guidance. :)

Will be away for a day or 2 in search of this, and then let's see what I get. :)

Quetzalcoatl

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
265.3 GB
Uploaded
504 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
That is very wrong here. Even if someone has a bit more of responsibility via access level, everyone should be approachable. I can say that for me. :)
But agreed, I did make few mistakes in the OP by not mentioning clearly few details. Amended them after writing this response.
I am sorry but i didn't mean it in that way, what i meant by my words were "You are a member for more than 2 years, you would have learned some stuffs by now and know what exactly you might want [Albeit, even if you don't know what you want, i am sure you would have been seasoned by now to know what you don't want] so, what i meant was, there may be very less people who might really help you. [The reason i stated access level is, you don't get to go to higher level simply being here, you would have contributed to this community to be acknowledged by top users and that contribution is knowledge. Since you have contributed so much knowledge to go to higher level, i simply stated that you are someone who knows their stuffs than some people you might have encountered in your time here] [Didn't mean anything else, sorry if you misunderstood my statement as i didn't clearly clarify it]

Now here is where I am dried out with confusion. What difference does it really make with DDR5 and 4? I was gonna go for 4 anyways, but heck, have been seeing too many 5 models too. I read, but other than the difference in speed, I read nothing to sear any big difference.
It makes no difference whether it DR5 or DR4 as a typical user. The Marketing strategies of RAM Companies are new release of higher version every quarter of a decade and revenue generation until the next version. it has been the case since DR3. with every succession generation you will get higher upper limit of the RAM which will let you work with much less latency. Other than that, it has no use if you are typical user and not someone from hardcore programming and debugging and VFX editing. I read the above replies and saw that you told you have been using your HP laptop for 6.6 years. So assuming the same using period with the new laptop, you might end up with 128 GB of RAM at the end of the next 7 years if you are buy DDR4 or 1 TB of RAM if you opt to buy DDR5 [Which is unlikely to buy for personal and gaming purpose and you can do so much more with the money than spending for RAM]

Yeah, one seller told me how good having heat vent below are. I do understand, as the side vent makes a lot of heat at my left hand, same with my office dell laptop. However, I will still always go with side vent and not bottom ones.
Depends on how you use the laptop. If you are using the laptop on your lap [which, btw, is a bad example of usage] the heat transfer to your thighs [i have read a article of a user suffering from cancer because of it during 2012] and if you are using it on a flat surface, the heat circulates around the bottom case and sometimes excessive heat cause other components damage in the motherboard if the heat is not properly vented out and may cause system shutdown to prevent damage to cores

Ryzen or Radeon for AMD? I would prefer AMD over Intel tbvh.
There is very little to no difference between Intel and AMD processors at the same budget. You can't expect to get a superior product of Intel or AMD at a same price. there is a reason why there is low, mid, high budget products are there in the market. there is no way a high product would end up in mid budget of competing product. What i mean to say is, at the same price there is no difference between Cores and GHz in AMD or Intel.

There is little choice you have when you buy laptop.
Laptop is a package unlike desktop where you can customize everything. In laptop the company decides everything for you, so you have little to no choice. [For Instance, HP decides what Motherboard and Processor and RAM they would want to embed in their Laptop (Very little time does a motherboard demand a specific processor but those motherboard don't generally appear for millions of users but for specific purpose) depending on the budget set for the laptop] So, as long as you are set in specific budget, you will get relatively the same Motherboard, Processor, RAM and Storage regardless of the Brand [If you come across Higher RAM, you will find compromise in one of the other three and likewise for the other three too. if you get something higher there is something compromised] [To be relevant to the topic, One company may compromise in design, while other motherboard, speaker, display and literally everything that makes up to laptop] So, everything comes down to your budget. What is your budget? You can't buy the latest core if your budget is for the mid cores, so knowing your budget is crucial.

Ohh, I have few needs and believe it or not, the speakers on my system are used almost 85% of the time daily.
Well, Everyone has their own needs and preferences. if you need your in-built speaker, then the condition for that is same as heat vents, make sure they aren't in bottom and if they are in the bottom of the product you like, buy a cooling pad stand [Reason being simple, if you keep the laptop in flat surface, the sound gets distorted and muffled and you don't get to experience 100% of the speaker.

I modified my laptop couple of times. Unfortunately by the times my hinges replacement came, the market did not have the pair left for my model and it took almost 2 years to get them back, but by then I had moved out of that city and the retailer/HP distributor refused to ship it. Even HP support did not have it available.
Hinges are the bad mark of HP product. The experience of Hinges replacement still leaves a ruined mood in my memories. If the final product is HP, Make sure the display lid is connected to the Lower part by hinges covering at the ratio of 80% of the total length of the laptop [look for lenovo and dell laptops for reference since they are decent in that part]

Wow, you remind me of Cyler. Usually he is the one to go into such healthy responses. Seeing he did like your comments.
I don't understand what you meant, but after they had replied, i can understand your response but i still cannot comprehend as to how you compare me to them. Given the only same part is our long text other than that the essence itself of both of us are entirely different. I re-read my first post and @Cyler message and this is what i came to the realize, while i presented myself as a seller telling to choose this and not that, on the other hand, they came as a teacher, teaching you the very difference between two products and letting you choose it yourself. They really are humble and patient. This was really a learning experience for myself on how to present myself.

Quetzalcoatl

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
265.3 GB
Uploaded
504 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
I had this in mind of a m desktop. The only thing holding me back is my travels, every 2-3 months, and I need my computer with me on most of these occassions, if not always.
I am going out in the market today to find more out, and have couple of local shops which have been named by neighbours and few others. Let me see what I get, and which may suit me best. I still have my AC15-120TX anyways, so that can run as usual unless I get some further issues wiht it. The battery I had replaced last year is starting to give out, and the shopkeeper had mentioned, if it runs 6-9 months, it will be my best option. It has run 14 months already, but still will run another year, for sure. Then this laptop will be out of anything as the motherboard at times runs too hot, even with nothing running. So, time to change and have a desktop/laptop, based on the quotes I get. Let's see. Thanks @September222022 and @Cyler for the guidance. :)

Will be away for a day or 2 in search of this, and then let's see what I get. :)
I would like to trim down your selection even more, so please answer these questions to yourself or post the answer here for further discussion.

Where are you from? [Crucial to determine what exactly are the products in the market where you live]
What is the Budget?
What Games have you played?
What Games are planning to play in the new laptop? [To Determine if you need a dedicated graphics or integrated one]
If Gaming is your first priority out of [personal/movie watching] then wouldn't it be much better to buy a PS if you are financially stable? [Don't get me wrong but the reason why i tell you this is, the latest laptop today will support the latest game of today, but the same isn't the case when you fast forward 6 years. and it is entirely different if it is PS. Know this, we have to tailor our PC to meet some requirements for a specific game to run, but the games are tailored according to PS specifications.

we have already discussed about RAM, Storage and Display and any other things that might need a discussion and the topics that i failed to address, @Cyler has addressed them beautifully. I think there is nothing more left, but i do hope you have more doubts, since curiosity always leads to answers. I will try my best to help you, in the mean time, look for dell g7 laptop and tell me what you think about it [Don't look at it based on cost but see the design, it was one the dell laptop that breaks the stereotype lousy design and the folks at the R&D actually designed something to look at]

I am very much enticed to reply to @Cyler but i believe that it would turn into a debate and having this thread opened for the next few weeks. I would like to refute to some points but that has no relevance to this topic and it does not help with this thread but nevertheless what they said about CPU, GPU, RAM, Display, Mouse, Touch feature are true.

We will get to talk more once you have replied and narrowed down the search even more.

erobbins

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
200.3 GB
Uploaded
5.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
I have a lot of clients and friends regretting buying the new "gaming" laptops from both Intel and AMD with Nvidia graphics cards and getting annoyed by the fan noise. To make things worse, the more budget a powerful laptop is, the noisier it will get because where they save money, is partly the cooling system.
Excellent post, I have a question about the noise. I know desktop power supplies have quiet built in. Mine is 1000 watts and I can barely hear the fan. Would a laptop have something similar? Probably not, but good to know if it does. I think some laptops have an external add-on power supply. Could this be added to any laptop to help with both cooling and fan noise? Not looking to get a laptop just yet but something to save for a rainy day.
E

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Excellent post, I have a question about the noise. I know desktop power supplies have quiet built in. Mine is 1000 watts and I can barely hear the fan. Would a laptop have something similar? Probably not, but good to know if it does. I think some laptops have an external add-on power supply. Could this be added to any laptop to help with both cooling and fan noise? Not looking to get a laptop just yet but something to save for a rainy day.
E
Without going too deep into this, It's not the power supply fan that is the issue, mostly because laptops don't require as much power as a PC. A desktop 6 core can easily ask for 65w to 120w or more while a low-power laptop asks for 15w and high power laptop for 45w (or more depending on CPU, google about this).

The issue is that the laptops don't have the physical dimensions to have proper CPU and GPU coolers and do not have enough room for proper airflow. Look at the photo below comparing an average decent CPU cooler with a laptop one. Check the dimension and try to visualize how the extra case fans take the hot air out of the case. That can't happen with a laptop and so when you reduce the cooler size, you have to increase the fan speed and you have to do it by a LOT to have some decent cooling.

QusAQv.jpg
QusBhE.jpg

In general, the bigger the fan, the less rotation speed (RPM) it needs, and the less noise it will create.
140mm Fans: ~400 to 1200 RPM. - 120mm Fans: ~500 to 1500 RPM. - 92mm Fans: ~600 to 2000 RPM
Some gaming laptops have fans that can hit 5000 rpm.

Now think of a car and the engine sound it makes between 1000 rpm and 5000 rpm and you will get the picture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.