Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Upgrading Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob62

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
400.5 GB
Uploaded
809 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
Hello! have an Asus A68hm-k motherboard with 16gb DDR31600 and wonder if i would be better off with the 8gb DDR3 2400 that came with it? I have tried to over clock the 1600 with no luck but wonder if I'd be better off just using the 8gb 2400? Anyone knowledgeable on this? Thanks.

fantom

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
1,589.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years

billybob62

Stay with those 16Gb! Difference in speed shall not be noticable, but +8Gb is

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 4 years
@billybob62 instead use vram to make changes, if and where required. Also, the motherboard may not rain compatible with the upgrade and may render your changes useless.

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 6 years
@billybob62
We don't know which exact CPU you have but if you switch to 2400 ram the gains will be minimal if any, and only in applications that heavily utilize the CPU and RAM, but the negatives will be felt if you indeed use anything near 7GB+ at peeks and that becomes more true, the older CPU is. On the other hand, if you keep your needs below 7 GB, I don't see any issues but no real benefits either.

I agree with @fantom and In most cases, using the 1600 16GB ram will be better than 2400 8GB, Especially if you use many applications and/or open several tabs on the browser. Keep in mind It's not clear if you have 2 sticks of 4GB or 1 of 8GB but if it's 1 of 8GB, you will force the CPU into single channel mode, which will make things even worse.

If you worry about games, note that if you are GPU bound, ram speed will have minimal effects, if you are CPU bound, you may see some increase but only in few games that again use the CPU more.

If you have both RAMs, feel free to test the validity of what we say to see for yourself. Do whatever you do every day with either and see if and when the PC slows down.

@billybob62 instead use vram to make changes, if and where required.
If by Vram, you mean Virtual memory (swap), what changes are there to be made that are related to what the user is requesting? really asking.
It is known I assume, that its best to avoid using Virtual memory to make up for RAM at all costs, especially if one is using spinning rusts (normal hard disks), with the slight exception of people that have semi-fast NVMEs or fast SSDs but overall it's better not to force the use of Swap over RAM if possible.

Last edited:

billybob62

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
400.5 GB
Uploaded
809 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years
Thank you all for the advice! Think i understand now! You can close this thread now! Long live Team OS!

Status
Not open for further replies.